Telstra Premiership

:rugby_football: Match Newcastle Knights v Penrith Panthers
:stadium: Venue McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton NSW
:clock10: Time Saturday 23rd March 2019 5:30pm
:tickets: Tickets Ticketek [Link]
:stadium: Gates Open Gates Open 1:35pm
:rugby_football: Other Matches CCN Newcastle Knights v Penrith Panthers 1:15pm
JFG Newcastle Knights v Penrith Panthers 12:00pm
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_small_cloud:Partly Cloudy 27°C (10% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:bus: Travel Supporter Bus to Newcastle [Link]
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 16 Tries James Fisher-Harris, Frank Winterstein, Isaah Yeo
Goals Nathan Cleary (2/3)
Newcastle Knights 14 Tries Edrick Lee, Mitchell Barnett
Goals Kalyn Ponga (3/4)

:rugby_football: Canterbury Cup NSW | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 20 Tries Brent Naden (2), Matheson Johns, Caleb Aekins
Goals Jed Cartwright (2/4)
Newcastle Knights 4 Tries Tex Hoy
Goals None (0/1)

:rugby_football: Jersey Flegg Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 24 Tries Matthew Faauila, Charlie Staines, Terrell May, Alexander Myles
Goals Stephen Crichton (4/4)
Newcastle Knights 18 Tries Luke Huth, Ofa Manuofetoa, Joe Bromage
Goals Toby Marks (3/3)

Post Game Media

PRESS CONFERENCE

PANTHERS MEDIA REPORT

MATCH REPORT

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS

Teams

Telstra Premiership Centerbury Cup NSW Jersey Flegg Cup
:rugby_football: Knights v Panthers :rugby_football: Knights v Panthers :rugby_football: Knights v Panthers
:clock3: Saturday 23/3 5.30pm :clock3: Saturday 23/3 3:15pm :clock3: Saturday 23/3 12:00pm
:stadium: McDonald Jones Stadium :stadium: McDonald Jones Stadium :stadium: McDonald Jones Stadium
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Caleb Aekins 1. Daine Laurie
2. Josh Mansour 2. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak 2. Charlie Staines
3. Dean Whare 3. Jed Cartwright 3. Stephen Crichton
4. Waqa Blake 4. Tyrone Phillips 4. Thomas Lofts
5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 5. Brian Too 5. Matthew Faauila
6. James Maloney 6. Isaac Thompson 6. Adam Fearnley
7. Nathan Cleary 7. Liam Coleman 7. Brendan Hands
8. James Tamou 8. Nick Lui-Toso 8. Spencer Leniu
9. Sione Katoa 9. Mitch Kenny 9. Ryan Pritchard
10. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 10. Paea Pua 10. Brad Gaut
11. James Fisher-Harris 11. Matheson Johns 11. Alex Myles
12. Isaah Yeo 12. Billy Burns 12. Shawn Blore
13. Hame Sele 13. Kaide Ellis (C) 13. Lindsay Smith
INTERCHANGE
14. Wayde Egan 14. Reed Izzard 14. Dylan Mcbain
15. Frank Winterstein 20. Sam Smith 15. Jack Quinn
16. Moses Leota 21. Brent Naden 16. Jayden Tanner
17. Jack Hetherington 22. Ratu Tuisese 17. Terrell May
18. Jarome Luai 18. Ratu Nanovo
19. Tim Grant 19. Matt Burton
20. Liam Martin 20. Hayden Bonanno
21. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak 21. Glen Mcgrady
22. Ethan Mcpherson
COACH
Coach: Ivan Cleary Coach: Guy Missio Coach: Ben Harden

Match Officals

Telstra Premiership Canterbury Cup NSW Jersey Flegg
Referees Dave Munro TBA TBA
Chris Sutton - -
Sideline Officials Nick Morel TBA TBA
Rickey McFarlane TBA TBA
Video Referees Henry Perenara - -
Beau Scott - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2019 Overall
Dave Munro 2011 (0/0) 100% (7/12) 58%
Gerard Sutton 2009 (0/1) 0% (10/23) 43%

here is the team for the Newcastle clash

1. Dylan Edwards, 2. Josh Mansour, 3. Dean Whare, 4. Waqa Blake, 5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, 6. James Maloney, 7. Nathan Cleary, 8. James Tamou, 9. Sione Katoa, 10. Reagan Campbell-Gillard, 11. James Fisher-Harris, 12. Isaah Yeo, 13. Hame Sele.

Interchange: 14. Wayde Egan, 15. Frank Winterstein, 16. Moses Letoa, 17. Jack Hetherington

Luai would have to think he is unlucky but i understand you cannot carry another half in the squad and its a forward stacked bench so no stars for thinking its going to be heavy going with the big boys.

I posted earlier the Knights looked workmanlike so doubt they will change what they brought to the table last weekend and Panthers…well they all simply have to lift.

Outside lifting i would love to see a hint of a game plan because we didn’t have one on Sunday and away from home all the advantages are with the Knights.

hard to select us other then with the heart…Panthers JUST in a very close game

… side can’t afford both Cleary and Maloney at the same time anymore.
Neither of these blokes take on the line, preferring to kick, mostly to the same bloke with the same (for the oldies) ‘up and under’. Luai brings
an unpredictability and unbridled creativity that our outside backs are
screaming out for. Let us know how we go, coz I’m not up for more
of the same crap served up v the eels. Ivan will find it hard to drop his
son, so I hope Maloney has a retirement transitional plan with full
health benefits. For mine Luai has to be in the side.

Might need to run your eyes over the game day details there Steve, playing Parra again, this time at MacDonald Jones stadium…

Rematch? Maybe we’ll get it right this time… :rofl:

1 Like

I wouldn’t rush for the exit yet Puss but i will need to see a major improvement from many in the team but to be honest i don’t see us making a dent in the Newcastle forwards who are all pretty honest and are not saddled with any expectations save for Klemmer who had a good outing last week.

We should be very wary because Cronulla have a mongrel forward pack and they were tamed by the Knights forwards last week.

If our forwards don’t lift as a group it could be a very long afternoon again for us Panther supporters.

Luai in or out ? If in, for who?

Puss, I disagree and would have both Cleary & Maloney in BUT we need to go back to a conventional halves combination, Cleary to steer and Maloney to roam free, this structured crap with one each side is ridiculous.

I like Luai and he seems to have added a few kegs, I would treat him a bit like a peachey ATM and let him feel the game when he gets on, unfortunately it’s usually a specific task if he is a replacement rather than a interchange.

fair enough Kev but Maloney reminds me of that greyhound you
told me about … goin backwards. :grinning:
wouldn’t we be better off with Luai roaming free?

In time yes, I think Luai can be so much to this team in so many positions, all of which will give him a far greater appreciation of his natural job of being a half. Happy to maintain the status quo at this stage, the fact we lacked effort is not Maloney fault, that is something Ivan needs to fix on a wholistic front.

When Maloney starts running the wrong way I will allow you to ‘put him down’ :ok_hand:

1 Like

looks like dry conditions with a bit of wind up to 26kmh in Newcastle and a temp of 24c

our kicking game should come into play today and we can kick from both sides of the ruck

… why are we in white, again??
Winter stein walks into the club and gets a Guernsey???

scintillating stuff thus far, on the edge of my seat.

Maloney was better, Cleary was worse. Game was awful.

Cleary is really out of touch and not sure what it is…DWZ was bad and Maloney was a saint and a sinner

The only thing you could say about this game is we got the money…we beat ourselves and they almost beat us.

RCG and Tamou were great

Not sure there is anything we can take out of this game except we got 2 points.

Well… that was… interesting.

Was there improvement? Sure. was there enough improvement? Not so sure.

A dry track today at least gave them a better chance to sharpen things up up in attack, but it was clunky at best. On the other hand though, I thought defensively we looked better than last week and the forwards really took aim.

Tamou was a standout agtain today, and RCG looked to be back into the swing of things. I thought Winterstien’s first hitout in Panthers colours was great, he hit the line hard and had a touch in everything defensively.

The back line though looked… how would you put it… “Out of Sync”. the ball wasn’t sticking and hitting the mark and you ad players over running the line. It was real clunky at times. The first half was terrible, but it looked to be getting better in the second half.

But Maloney’s try saving strip over the line was masterful. DWZ look daze as Edrick Lee passed him and for Maloney to get under him and strip that ball… well that (to me) what won it for us today. The defence did not want to give the Knights an inch.

Also MWZ pulling the ball back into play leading to a try by Winterstein was a perfect example of the ‘never give up attitude’ that needs to serve as the teams mantra this season.

Still a long way to go, but there was improvement this week, be sure of that.

out of sync and clunky are 2 terms which adequately describe our game.

Is Mansour hurt or was he dropped?

MWZ had a great game and his brother looks to me he is having a dummy spit about not being FB and he looks really out of form but he is not alone…Whare was really flat and Edwards was there but almost invisible.

Cleary’s head also appears to be somewhere else with him missing a kick at goal he would normally have thrown over and his midfield bomb which he fielded himself and dropped was of a much lower grade effort

Maloney still remains a major risk despite his try saving effort and his hit on Watson…his defence is so poor and his giving away of penalties is deeply concerning…at one point we were 1-5 on the penalty count and this level of poor discipline cannot be sustained and against a team like Storm who we play next week will make us pay big time.

Is Kikau that much of the difference for us?

I saw one set play and we scored a great try where Ponga was wrong footed but it almost seemed once we got in front we took the foot off the pedal.

Agree on Winterstein and believe he will be a good bench player when Kikau returns

Maybe at training this week…there just needs to be a session to allow any disagreements to be aired …whether you think you should be playing somewhere else, you should be in the run on team etc.

They just have to all get on the same page and its more then noticeable to me and i am sure coaches…too many of our players are distracted by runners aiming at Maloney…our defence all moves in protecting his mistakes and opens us out wide for the winger.

Bellamy will have his team running every play at Maloney and opening us up at will if we don’t rectify this weakness.

Maybe Maloney should come off the bench?

Maloney off the bench…what the !

If you take a closer look, and I don’t want to be a ref bagger, but the count early is 5-1 against, and some of them were real 50/50, we then get back to 5-5 on the count, have the momentum and kick out to a lead.

Somehow we have to get rid of the ref penalty KPI, it will kill our game.

My MOTM was Yeo with Maloney a very close second. I don’t give MOTM to backs lol

… and Nathan Cleary’s contribution ???

Up there with DWZ - don’t know what is going on other than it’s early days, they are far too good to continue playing like the first 2 games.

Benefit of the doubt at this stage I say.