[2019] R24 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread

Game Day Information #NRLRoostersPanthers

:rugby_football: Match Sydney Roosters v Penrith Panthers
:stadium: Venue Sydney Cricket Ground, Moore Park NSW
:clock10: Time Saturday 31st August 2019 7:35pm
:tickets: Tickets Ticketek [Link]
:stadium: Gates Open Gates Open 2:00pm
:rugby_football: Other Matches CCN EF Mounties v Penrith Panthers SAT 7/9 10:45am*
JFC QF Sydney Roosters v Penrith Panthers SAT 7/9 4:30pm*
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :partly_sunny: Partly Cloudy 17°C (25% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

Canterbury Cup and Jersey Flegg matches to be played at HE Laybutt Field, Blacktown NSW

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Sydney Roosters 22 Tries Sam Verrills, James Tedesco, Latrell Mitchell, Daniel Tupou
Goals Latrell Mitchell (3/5)
Penrith Panthers 6 Tries Villame Kikau
Goals Nathan Cleary (1/1)

Post Game Media

PRESS CONFERENCE

PANTHERS MEDIA REPORT

NRL MATCH REPORT

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

MAN OF THE MATCH VOTING
https://discourse.pantherpride.com.au/t/vote-for-your-round-24-v-roosters-man-of-the-match/396

Teams

Telstra Premiership Canterbury Cup NSW Jersey Flegg Cup
:rugby_football: Panthers v Roosters :rugby_football: Panthers v Workers :rugby_football: Panthers v Sea Eagles
:clock3: Saturday 31/8 7.35pm :clock3: Sunday 1/9 1.10pm :clock3: Sunday 1/9 3.15pm
:stadium: Sydney Cricket Ground :stadium: HE Laybutt Field :stadium: HE Laybutt Field
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Charlie Staines 1. Daine Laurie
2. Stephen Crichton 2. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak 2. Justin Jones
3. Dean Whare 3. Shannon Harris 3. Jake Tago
4. Brent Naden 4. Tyrell Fuimaono 4. Glenn Mcgrady
5. Brian To’o 5. Matheson Johns 5. Matthew Faauila
6. James Maloney 6. Matt Burton 6. Adam Fearnley (C)
7. Nathan Cleary 7. Dean Blore 7. Brendan Hands
8. James Tamou (C) 8. Sam McKendry 8. John Trimboli
9. Mitch Kenny 9. Sione Katoa 9. Ryan Pritchard
10. Moses Leota 10. Kaide Ellis © 10. Lindsay Smith
11. Viliame Kikau 11. Pat Hollis 11. Ratu Nanovo
12. Liam Martin 12. Frank Winterstein 12. Alex Myles
13. James Fisher-Harris 13. Hame Sele 13. Terrell May
INTERCHANGE
14. Jarome Luai 14. Reed Izzard 14. Maurice Trindall
15. Spencer Leniu 15. J’Maine Hopgood 15. Brad Gaut
16. Billy Burns 16. Nick Lui-Toso 16. Jack Quinn
17. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 17. Paea Pua 17. Nitoa Kairau
RESERVES
18. Wayde Egan 18. Thomas Lofts
19. Sione Katoa
20. Hame Sele
21. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak
COACH
Coach: Ivan Cleary Coach: Guy Missio Coach: Ben Harden

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership Canterbury Cup NSW Jersey Flegg
Referee Henry Perenara TBA TBA
Jon Stone TBA -
Sideline Official Jeff Younis TBA TBA
Michael Wise TBA TBA
Video Referee Jared Maxwell - -
Bryan Norrie - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2019 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Henry Perenara 2011 (1/2) 50.00% (14/27) 44.00% 97.5 95 1.03
Jon Stone 2016 (3/4) 75.00% (5/8) 62.50% 29 30.5 0.95

… should give big Sam McKendry a run off the bench.

As much as I would love to see that, Big Sam isn’t in our top 30 squad.

Billy Burns is in our development squad, so could play from now till the grand final (6 games).

Cleary’s grand plan?

McKendry is the same as Burton…not in our Top 30
Cleary has stuck with a team only last week at the presser he said were our own worst enemies.
Based on the performance of this squad over the last few weeks and especially against the Cowboys i see the Roosters beating us by 20 points at least and could be our worst defeat of all season.
Will either need a miracle effort from us and or for the Roosters to think they have this game won by just turning up.
With Luau named and Egan out of the 17 suggests to me Laui will be the interchange for Kenny

Roosters will run all their big boppers at Kenny just to get Luai on the field early and if anyone thinks Maloney won’t be a target in defence for them are kidding…so much so i would move Martin to his side and Kiaku to his…Martin can move better laterally and without Yeo we will need toilet in defence as he did a lot of work.

I just cannot see us winning but hope we can but that is how bad it’s got…just hoping now

1 Like

I like to live in hope, but have a feeling we are going to see a cricket score with the form the Roosters are in. In some ways I will be happy to stay within 30 of them.

1 Like

Kenny out with arm injury - Egan to start.

I have a strange feeling we will cause a big upset and win this well.

Then again, downing 3 coopers stout longnecks does tend to create strange feelings lol

1 Like

We do, over history, tend to lose the easy ones and win a few that we’re not expected to win…

1 Like

Hope you are right SHF…for the first time in my life I was hoping the Eels were going to win last night.

in my opinion that is not a plus.
Egan is not a good 9…to slow with his service and his go too option is the barge over try and doubt the Rooster forwards will fall for that
If this was a horse race the form suggests we will get lapped and i believe we will

Maloney has tuned out, we have lost a toiler in defence in Yeo and now Kenny, we have Kikau who looks like he is broken in every game spending as much time on the ground as he does above it and they have firepower in attack everywhere save for Cronk being ruled out and i suspect its more of a rest for him than anything with Keary to run the attack.

Now we have Egan who slows our plays up

Add to this our terrible results in giving away penalties against a team who knows how to milk them

And Broncos did us no favours last night winning with only 1 spot up for grans now and 3 clubs trying for it in Sharks, Tigers and Panthers and in the kindest of terms all 3 will be sacrificial in game 1 of the finals

I struggle with the fact I am upset at an Eels loss.

Regardless of a win today, we really need the Dragons to beat the Tigers.

As much as I am a Panthers tragic, I’m not budgeting for finals footy this year.

I haven’t fleshed out the math on this but I think this is the easiest path to the finals

• Panthers win against the Roosters and Knights (Points shouldn’t matter)
  • Sharks lose to the Raiders this week
  • Broncos lose to the Bulldogs next week.
  • Sharks play Tigers next week, need any result but a draw.

A panthers loss pretty much is all over, red rover. The math becomes absurd, like by winning the last game by 200+ points and have other results go our way.

Winning today is essential.

2 Likes

I’m with SHF on this one. I feel strangely confident that we’ll put in a solid effort for the 80 mins & give a good account of ourselves. Will that be enough to win? Who knows? But it’s all you can ask of any team.

Go Panthers!

2 Likes

I think a draw between Sharks & Tigers is ok for us, provided we win both games & Sharks lose this week.

Either way, when you start looking for results to go your way, you are facing an uphill battle.

I’ve woken up strangely confident this morning too, just like I did a few weeks ago against the Sharks. Time will tell…

1 Like

I hope you’re right, Mutley!

Can’t make the game tonight, but I should get home from work in time to heat up a pile of Brazilian cheese bread & open a bottle of red just before kick-off!

1 Like

Had planned on going to the game with a mate from work who sits in the Chook Pen. Our original plan had been to start at the Coogee Bay hotel about midday & drink our way there. Unfortunately I’ve been sick all week & don’t feel up to it. I’ll enjoy some chicken soup in front of the TV instead.
:joy::joy::joy:

Sione Katoa has been promoted to starting hooker with Egan moving to the bench. Jarome Luai drops out.

Cleary no try 1 minute before half time. Bullshit!!!

They aren’t giving the Roosters a free pass. They are sticking in there and completions are good and some enterprising play.

A better second half could see them clinch this one.

Regarding the Cleary “No Try” it show how much of a joke the NRL Referees are this year. Tetevano wasn’t obstructed (RCG was barely in the defensive line) and he made no attempt to even tackle. He put his hands up and appealed straight to the ref. Piss poor play by the Roosters and even more of a poi’s poor play by the bunker.