[2020] GF Panthers v Storm - Game Day Thread

Game Day Information #NRLGF #NRLFinals

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v Melbourne Storm
:stadium: Venue ANZ Stadium, Homebush NSW
:clock10: Time Sunday 25th October 2020 7:30pm
:tickets: Tickets Available from Ticketek
:stadium: Gates Open 3:15pm (Only open to pre-purchased tickets)
:rugby_football: Other Matches NRLW Grand Final Brisbane Broncos v Sydney Roosters 4:05pm
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_large_cloud: Mostly Cloudy 24°C (24% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel 9 (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [DELAYED]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [DELAYED]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 20 Tries Brian To’o, Stephen Crichton, Josh Mansour, Nathan Cleary
Goals Nathan Cleary (2/3)
Melbourne Storm 26 Tries Justin Olam, Suliasi Vunivalu, Cameron Smith, Ryan Papenhuyzen
Goals Cameron Smith (5/6)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY
Coming Soon

PANTHER PRIDE MAN OF THE MATCH VOTING
https://bit.ly/2Hvq5GG

Teams

Penrith Panthers Melbourne Storm
TEAM
Dylan Edwards 1 Ryan Papenhuyzen
Josh Mansour 2 Suliasi Vunivalu
Brent Naden 3 Brenko Lee
Stephen Crichton 4 Justin Olam
Brian To’o 5 Josh Addo-Carr
Jarome Luai 6 Cameron Munster
Nathan Cleary 7 Jahrome Hughes
James Tamou (C) 8 Jesse Bromwich
Api Koroisau 9 Cameron Smith (C)
James Fisher-Harris 10 Christian Welch
:small_red_triangle:Viliame Kikau 11 Felise Kaufusi
Liam Martin 12 Kenneath Bromwich
Isaah Yeo 13 Nelson Asofa-Solomona
INTERCHANGE
Tyrone May 14 Brandon Smith
Kurt Capewell 15 Tino Fa’asuamaleaui
Moses Leota 16 Dale Finucane
Zane Tetevano 17 Nicholas Hynes
RESERVES
Mitch Kenny 18 Tom Eisenhuth
Dean Whare 19 Paul Momirovski
Matt Burton 20 Tui Kamikamica
Spencer Leniu 21 Ryley Jacks
COACH
Ivan Cleary Craig Bellamy

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership
Referee Gerard Sutton
Sideline Officials Chris Butler
Todd Smith
Senior Review Official Steve Chiddy

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2020 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Gerard Sutton 2009 (6/7) 86% (19/35) 54.3% 122 129.5 0.94

I have my final tickets, yay yay yay!

2 Likes

well done SHF
The game is a worthy finale to a year which has had it all and fittingly the years 2 best teams will fight it our for the big honour.
The match ups all over the park are fascinating.
Cannot wait and i am glad in many ways we had that game against Souths because i believe we were off our top game and perhaps just had our minds on this week.
The bounce of the ball, a poor refs call or dumb penalty will be all that is between these 2 teams.

If we get a fair percentage of the ball, keeps errors to a minimum and execute our game plan, i believe we can win and win going away.

3 Likes

See you there SHF.

I go to the GF every year with an old school mate. It is our annual day out, and these days often the only time we can get together. A nice little tradition that we started in 1998 when he managed to score 2 tickets to watch his beloved Bulldogs. We have both helped each other cheer our teams to victory, and more often than not just got blotto because we didn’t care about the result.
:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

You in the Panthers bay?

Bay 101, didn’t have supporters bay on sale when I got my tix

To your typical NRL fan the names of Crichton, To’o, Naden, Martin, Luai and even Cleary are relatively new names to the Rugby League scene. But to a Panthers fan these names have quite some history. We have watched these guys come through SG Ball and Harold Matt’s and into the Toyota/Holden Cup and into NSW Cup.

We have been lucky to witness this crop of young players ply their trade for years, winning multiple premierships. We all sat a talked in the stands about how this generation of young men could take it all the way in the “Big Leagues”. How long we would have to wait, well… none of us were really sure, but we knew that someday they would be lifting the Provan-Summons Trophy.

How quickly that date has come.

The thing I love most about this club is community. Penrith, both the fans and the club both like to see our local talent shine. We have a plethora of talent spreading out from Penrith to Blacktown and to the mountains all the way into the Central Tablelands. It’s important to us that ‘our team’ is stacked with ‘our guys’. In 2020 a bulk of our squad are directly from the Panthers Development System. In the 1991 and 2003 premiership wins, these quads were very much the same. It is a testament to our club and our community’s commitment to junior league and the importance it has on our game.

If the team wins this weekend, the media will focus on how quickly success has come to this young squads, but for Panthers fans, we know how far they have had to come.

I’m looking forward to the game on the weekend. Melbourne will not make this easy, Penrith will have to be prepared to claw the trophy from their grasp. The Panthers have been the benchmark this season in my opinion. only 80 minutes separates them from Premiership glory and a place in the history books.

Regardless of the result they have done us and our community proud, nothing will take that away.

I’m excited.

6 Likes

Lets hope they get out and enjoy the game, like they did in the regular season. I am worried that playing in the finals got inside their heads and affected their game, resulting in much closer results than they deserved.

Not sure if there was actually a better alternative for us, but G Sutton has been confirmed as ref - well assistant under C Smith anyway!

Anyway, one of the aspects of the season that enabled us to be here now is, that in many of the games, we were able to dominate/control the game & thus took the game out of the refs hands. Even when they managed the opposition back into the game :open_mouth:

We only lost 1 game under Sutton this year :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes 6 from 7 this year makes the overall totals look better - gone over the 50% success rate. His BS call on the first rabbits set, when Reynolds tripped over a fallen Tamou just made me angry from the start :open_mouth:

2 Likes

:mega: Teams have been listed at the top of the thread.

We only lost 1 game despite Sutton this year

Fixed

2 Likes

When I watch $torm I see a team well disciplined in defense, with well structured attack, taking the metres to create attacking options and the ability to convert pretty well every opportunity into a try.
The raiders gifted them the 1st 2 tries - bad read by Rapana on the first, and dropping a bomb and pathetic defense on the second.
The raiders made way too many errors & that very much limited their attacking opportunities.

If we bring our A game we can do this, as out attack will challenge their defense, and on the back of our metre eaters NC should be able to kick for good field position to put pressure on them. I think we have enough attacking options to trouble them. Just need to ensure we convert as many of these into tries as we can.

It has been my mantra for months now… Dare To Dream!!

C’mon boys.

:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

This entire final depends on the middle. The key to our success will be the result of Moses and Zane off the bench.

just watched the replay of the Storm v Panthers game played in May 2020 where we prevailed 21-14

Storm will run out almost the exact squad save for their 7 and Addo Carr will play while we won’t have Whare or Burns, which is a plus in my view for us

The game is really a template of how our game progressed through the year and believe will be almost identical to how we will play them tomorrow.

The game was played on a cold and dewy night and we had a great completion rate with few errors and as usual Storm got all the 6 again calls and their holding us down was truly on display.

For us to win tomorrow night we will need a completion rate above 80% with minimum errors and believe one way to overcome Storm’s holding tactics is offloads.
If we can keep up a rate of offloads we will force quicker play the balls and open them up.

On their weaknesses, Vunavalu loves to race up in defence aka Ferguson from Parra and will provide opportunities for Luai to open them up
Munster also likes to move up and has a good read of plays but again if he rushes and we can get an offload away we create numbers on their weakest defensive side.

On players i think Cleary will stand up and show the world class player he is but he will be helped by Api and Luai. If these 3 are on, it just opens up chances everywhere.

They will target Cleary hard so hopefully we have come up with a tactic to overcome them trying to shut him down.

We need the team to compete with our forwards as touched on working their hearts out to give Cleary and Luai room to weave magic.

I really believe we got our bad game out of the way last week and we have really matured as a playing group this year where we have relied on our processes to get the job done.

For us to win we simply will need to maintain pressure for 80 minutes, Storm are resilient and experienced at this level and on these occasions but our group can get the job done.

Strap yourselves in, this game will be a beauty and one to remember for a long long time.

Panthers to win and going away with it.

4 Likes

SMH has an article saying May will start at centre & the bench will be Naden, Tetevano, Leota & Capewell. Burton, Leniu, Whare & Kenny to drop out.

Here’s the link

Yep, must be right. Obviously Cleary Snr has been discussing his grand final strategy with the media. :wink:

1 Like