[2020] R18 Panthers v Eels - Game Day Thread

Game Day Information #NRLPanthersEels #BattleOfTheWest

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v Parramatta Eels
:stadium: Venue Suncorp Stadium, Milton QLD
:clock10: Time Friday 11th September 2020 7:55pm
:tickets: Tickets Ticketek [Link] SOLD OUT
:stadium: Gates Open 6:55pm (Only open to pre-purchased tickets)
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_large_cloud: Partly Cloudy 13Ā°C (80% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel 9 (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]
:warning: Notice NRL Matches in NSW are only open to limited number of
supporters. Redemption codes are provided for members to
claim tickets. Any remaining tickets (if any) are sold to the
general public.

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 20 Tries Josh Mansour. Liam Martin, Jarome Luai.
Goals Nathan Cleary (4/4)
Parramatta Eels 2 Tries None.
Goals Mitchell Moses (1/1)

Postgame Media

Ā 
MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MAN OF THE MATCH VOTING
https://bit.ly/2ZpRD6o

TEAM

Telstra Premiership
:rugby_football: Panthers v Eels
:clock3: Friday 11/9 7:55pm
:stadium: Panthers Stadium
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards
2. Josh Mansour
3. Brent Naden
4. Stephen Crichton
5. Brian Toā€™o
6. Jarome Luai
7. Nathan Cleary
8. James Tamou (C)
9. Api Koroisau
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Liam Martin
13. Isaah Yeo :small_red_triangle:
INTERCHANGE
14. Tyrone May
15. Spenser Leniu
16. Moses Leota
17. Zane Tetevano
RESERVE
18. Mitch Kenny
19. Kurt Capewell
20. Matt Burton
21. Charlie Staines :small_red_triangle:
COACH
Coach: Ivan Cleary

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership
Referee Gerard Sutton
Sideline Officials Dave Munro
Phil Henderson
Video Referees Ben Galea
Senior Review Official Jared Maxwell

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2020 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Gerard Sutton 2009 (3/4) 75% (16/32) 50.0% 114 118.5 0.96

The big question is will we rest Sauce and play the Forbes Ferrari?

Personally, I wouldnā€™t be putting a 19 or 20 year old bloke whose body is still growing, has played 1 & 1/2 first grade games, & who is coming back from 4 weeks out after a hamstring injury up against Blake Ferguson.

I think Mansour will hold his place. I hope so, anyway.

1 Like

Additionally Bryan, Sauce hasnā€™t done anything wrong to justify losing his spot.

I doubt the youngā€™n will be as effective bringing the ball back like sauce either, and Moses has a pretty good kicking game, he would be under the pump all night.

Great initiation though :woozy_face:

1 Like

Wonderful initiation, Kev. Staines has a great future - hopefully with us, although reports of his Manager testing the market & asking 2 million over 4 years 'cos he prefers fullback arenā€™t doing him any favours.

Learn to crawl before you can walk, Charles.

1 Like

That cannot be true, if so that manager is going to ruin his career for the 5 minute $$ grab.

Yeah, itā€™s in an article on the zero tackle website. For some reason, I canā€™t paste the link, but you should be able to find it easily enough.

Apparently his Manager is asking for Fullback money 'cos thatā€™s Stainesā€™s preferred possie. So, itā€™s almost saying ā€œIf you buy him, you better let him play fullback, otherwise youā€™re wasting your money.ā€

His mother replied to Zero tackle saying that these claims about how much they were asking couldnā€™t be further from the truth.

Maybe she is defending her kid, maybe she has the inside track. I would imagine she would know. Make of it what you will.

2 Likes

Thanks, Steve. Good to hear.

Furthermore, if the parents are that involved, said manager would be very careful about how he shops their kid around, player managers are termites !

Completely agree about the player manager putting his % above player welfare.

Surely Barrett knows better than to bring a 120min winger into the dogs on $2M to play fullback.

Look how well thatā€™s worked out for DWZ (not that I care).

Both Staines and Burton are on a good thing here, and know doubt will be full time first graders in a year or two, with a hopefully premiership winning club. Despite all the noise and news stories, there are also reports from their families (and Crichtonā€™s) that they are staying put.

Back to the game - this is the best possible squad we can assemble. All the reserves can fill in if needed. Sorry Whare, I donā€™t see you in the top 21 even if fit.

Iā€™m not in any way proposing dropping sauce pre se, just giving him a rest as we will need him at 100% in the finals. Same reason I would rest others in our final two games and give some of our reserves a run for match fitness (that includes Burton for either half.

The only position I have concern about coverage is fullback, while Aekins is solid, and other options available, the quality gap seems too great compared to other replacement positions.

1 Like

In addition to the Burns / Staines situation, they donā€™t strike me as Me Me Me players aka Latrell Mitchell, they appear to be happy team players.

Yes Burton has shown his worth given his limited game time, but for him to think he could walk into a 1st grade side and perform week in week out as he has done in his limited game time is ā€œTell him heā€™s dreamingā€.

The resume reads much better if it states Grand final winner, even if your not on the field, everyone knows the 18th man is just as important, keeping the pressure on and being part of everything team related. You donā€™t win a comp without 20+ fit, healthy and more importantly capable 1st grade professionals.

Staines should ā€˜get smartā€™ and find another agent, not of the ā€˜maxwellā€™ ilk.

1 Like

Our ā€˜run-inā€™ Sharks,Tigers, Broncs didnā€™t pose the threat this lot are likely to dish up. This is our BIGGEST test in some time. Weā€™ve been winning but our form has been a little scatty. When the going gets tough ā€¦ Iā€™m predicting Cleary to lift and bring our blokes home by 9pts.

Clean your fingernails Kevin, could be that kinda game !

1 Like

I donā€™t think so Puss, they will try and return to form through the middle, that will be their downfall. The fact they leak points even though they have been focusing on defense tells me they have an attitude problemā€¦

Panthers by 22

1 Like

Thatā€™s the spirit!! :muscle: :muscle: :muscle:

Just hope Sutton doesnā€™t ā€œmanageā€ them back into the game if we are on top early. It is far to common for a side that gets off to a great start, i.e. 20 in front, to be penalized by the Ref who start adjudicating %'s to the losing side.

Careful what you say Kevin. If PV gets wind of that you could be $20,000 poorer.

1 Like

Oh, if you write a nice letter they suspend 1/2 of it it seems :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: