[2020] R3 Panthers v Knights - Game Day Thread

Game Day Information #NRLPanthersKnights

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v Newcastle Knights
:stadium: Venue Campbelltown Stadium, Campbelltown NSW
:clock10: Time Sunday 31st May 2019 4:05pm
:tickets: Tickets Not Available due to Lockout [LINK]
:stadium: Gates Open Event Closed to Public
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :partly_sunny: Partly Cloudy 18°C (8% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:tv: Channel 9 [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]
:warning: Notice NRL Matches will be played at venues closed to the public
until further advised. Please refrain from traveling to the
stadium or congregating outside stadiums as this is not encouraged.

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 14 Tries Viliame Kikau, Kurt Capewell
Goals Stephen Crichton (3/3)
Newcastle Knights 14 Tries Bradman Best (2), Jacob Saifiti
Goals Tex Hoy (1/3)

Dally M Awards Points

3pts Tim Glasby Newcastle Knights
2pts Isaah Yeo Penrith Panthers
1pt Tex Hoy Newcastle Knights

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MAN OF THE MATCH VOTING
https://bit.ly/2TUhRem

Telstra Premiership
:rugby_football: Panthers v Knights
:clock3: Sunday 31/5 4:05pm
:stadium: Campbelltown Stadium
TEAM
1. Caleb Aekins
2. Josh Mansour
3. Dean Whare
4. Brent Naden
5. Brian To’o
6. Matt Burton
7. Jarome Luai
8. James Tamou (C)
9. Api Koroisau
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Kurt Capewell
13. Isaah Yeo
INTERCHANGE
14. Stephen Crichton
15. Zane Tetevano
16. Moses Leota
17. Liam Martin
RESERVE
18. Mitch Kenny
19. Billy Burns
20. Kaide Ellis
21. Charlie Staines
COACH
Coach: Ivan Cleary

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership
Referee Ben Cummins
Sideline Official Phil henderson
Chris Butler
Video Referee Steve Chiddy
Ben Galea

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2020 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Ben Cummins 2006 (0/0) -% (17/47) 36.17% 184 182.5 1.01

The Forwards are as expected, exact mix of bench and run on squad will likely be based on fitness.

Few surprises in the backs - Burton 6 and Luai 7 not sure I see Luai as a game controller. Numbers could mean nothing of course.

No Edwards? That’s a strange one. Thought he was almost ready for round 2.

Anyhow bring on the footy!

about the only thing you can say about this and any game in this round, is will be interesting to see who was not training or doing any work in the lockdown period.
IF Cleary was playing you could have made the case for us but gees, its too hard to pick a winner here.

Hope we get the chocolates with Lauai and Burton being either match winners to simply being too flamboyant to be structured
Glad the footy is back!

Why only a 3 man interchange, did I miss something with the change of rules?

Kurt Capewell must be going great guns, I thought Tetevano deserved the starting spot and would have JFH in 13, Yeo on an edge…but i’m just a happy the footy is back supporter like everyone else…with an opinion of course ha ha haaaaa

O’h yer - Ben Cummins :nauseated_face:

Nobody changed the rules. I’m a little rusty is all.

When I saw the team list I was like “Wait? We signed Tetevano?”.

I had clocked off footy for the last 2 months, I’ll ease my way back into it, though I’m sure post Sunday I will be back in the thick of it.

Looked forward to footy returning so much, and this happens :frowning_face:

Classic Steve

We might see a different Cummo now he is the ‘IT’ guy…hoping anyway.

It was much easier to be biased when you had 2 refs, now it will be glaringly obvious.

Reasonable first half, but the lack of experience in the halves has probably held us back from racking up a score. Hopefully we can go on with it in the second half.

… good try, 14-10. Knights are right in this and deservedly so.
Panthers lose this there are no excuses. Ordinary performance.

… shlda stayed in lockdown.

Inexperience in the halves cost us, we should have had that wrapped up by halftime.

:mega: Man of the Match voting is now open here.

https://bit.ly/2TUhRem

Should have won by a cricket score. Got out of Jail at the end. Unimpressive. Wonder if things will improve when the dancing queen returns.

… May need to bring his photographer with him. !!! :wink:

2 Likes

That was hard to watch. From the time that we reached 14-0, it seemed that we camped on their try line but couldn’t penetrate, yet on virtually every one of the few times that Newcastle were near our line they just strolled in. Penrith didn’t deserve to win. And to have Newcastle score with just 15 seconds left in the first half was a Panthers special. That didn’t appear to me to be a performance fitting for a supposed finalist.

1 Like

I have had time to digest it…thankfully - I would have unloaded on em yesterday lol

A couple of things to try and alleviate my angst and hope that this is a massive learning curve, it depends on the capability of the coach from here.

It is very difficult to beat resilience and the Knights to their credit showed just what resilience really is. Those forwards were broken but did not stop. That young hooker who they were raving about, he looked like he could have played again, his spirit was 2nd to none.

We played KNOWING they were down on troops, our mindset was, they will break in time…they have to right ! NO - WRONG, it just goes to show, regardless of who your playing and what the team sheet looks like, you MUST play each game like it is to make the finals, effort and heart and we lacked a bit of both towards the end of that game, actually probably after the 8 point try.

It also appeared to me that we stuck to the original game plan the entire game, our backs were doing the work of the forwards, WHERE THE HELL WAS TAMOU ! I know he was on the field…but seriously, from what I saw, a player of his calibre, he should hang his head in shame. If we played with the forwards through the middle like we used too, our backs would have had some energy towards the end of the 2nd half, instead Tóo was running on memory his last couple of efforts, you can’t have that from your winger 15 minutes from the end, he was spent. Likewise, Mansour ran for 240 odd metres….all through the middle.

Like I said, learning curve for the coach to fix, it was clearly evident we played to the game plan the ENTIRE GAME.

On a side note, cannot believe Kikau payed $19 for first try scorer, nice little collect, outlayed $10, returned $95 :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

Three players to my mind need looking at.

Aekins, while good defensively especially under the high ball, gives absolutely nothing to our attack.

Mansour has totally lost his compass and runs sideways, turns through 180 degrees when tackled and expects to make progress by pushing backwards. He looks as though he still wears the scars of some nasty injuries.

Then there is Luai. The only positive that I can come up with is that he is a better dancer than Cleary. He never looked like getting us over the defensive line.

:mega: Highlights & Full Replay Links have been added

:mega: Dally M Points allocation updated

“Mansour ran for 240metres”, in which direction Kevin?
When’s the last time he made a clean break or scored a try?

Aekins was solid at the back defensively but may be attack shy
with a recovering teamate on his mind.

Luai likewise, never going to usurp Cleary.