[2020] R6 Panthers v Storm - Game Day Thread

Game Day Information #NRLPanthersStorm

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v Melbourne Storm
:stadium: Venue Campbelltown Stadium, Leumeah NSW
:clock10: Time Friday 19th June 2019 8:00pm
:tickets: Tickets Not Available due to Lockout [LINK]
:stadium: Gates Open Event Closed to Public
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :full_moon: Clear 12°C (7% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel 9 FTA [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]
:warning: Notice NRL Matches will be played at venues closed to the public
until further advised. Please refrain from traveling to the
stadium or congregating outside stadiums as this is not encouraged.

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 21 Tries Stephen Crichton, Brian To’o, Viliame Kikau
Goals Nathan Cleary (4/4)
Field Goals Nathan Cleary (1/1)
Melbourne Storm 14 Tries Felise Kaufusi, Brenko Lee
Goals Cameron Smith (3/3)

Dally M Awards Points

To be awarded.

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MAN OF THE MATCH VOTING
https://bit.ly/2CfMFQS

Team

Telstra Premiership
:rugby_football: Panthers v Storm
:clock3: Friday 19/6 8:00pm
:stadium: Campbelltown Stadium
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards
2. Josh Mansour
3. Dean Whare
4. Stephen Crichton
5. Brian To’o
6. Jarome Luai
7. Nathan Cleary
8. James Tamou (C)
9. Api Koroisau
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Liam Martin
13. Isaah Yeo
INTERCHANGE
14. Matt Burton
15. Zane Tetevano
16. Moses Leota
17. Billy Burns
RESERVE
18. Mitch Kenny
19. Brent Naden
20. Jack Hetherington
21. Caleb Aekins
COACH
Coach: Ivan Cleary

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership
Referee Ashley Klein
Sideline Official Chris Butler
Peter Gough
Video Referee Jared Maxwell
Bryan Norrie

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2020 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Ashley Klein 2009 (0/0) —% (7/30) 23.33% 108.5 107 1.01

When do we get back to playing at our home ground, haven’t they lifted the lid so we can have 25% of capacity?

The first 9 rounds are at fixed venues, so Round 10 against the Cowboys would be the earliest game at Panthers Stadium.

1 Like

Worst possible ref & against our bogey team. I shudder to think what will happen. On the positive side I’m working, so I will know the result before I get to watch it.

1 Like

Me too, Mutley. I’ll get home from work about fulltime. But, given our record against the Storm, knowing the result aint a bad thing.

Hope Dylan Edwards has a big game. He’s been written off by a few posters on this forum wanting Crichton at fullback. That might happen, but let’s give Edwards a couple of games first, yeah?

3 Likes

Id have Hetherington off the bench to add a bit of mongrel. Burton is a great prospect but not sure what is role is off the bench.

3 Likes

Is it just me, or does that team look a bit “average” on paper?

The more we talk about the 3 and the bench, the more unconvinced I get about our possible premiership capability.

Also, you can bet your bottom $ that the Storm will be targeting Crichton’s defense at 4, Blake really highlighted a deficiency there, we need to fix that post haste.

I’m with the champ, I’d like to see Burton start along side Cleary.
Luai off the bench for mine. Burton can kick as well so this might
allow Cleary to explore other options, like taking the line on.

I’m all for Burton starting also, the mind boggles as to why you wouldn’t play quality over hype. I still don’t know what Luai brings other than the ‘X’ factor, unfortunately the ‘X’ stands for wrong most times with Luai.

I think it was clear from last week that Burton got onto the field about 10-15 minutes too late. He was starting something, but needed more time to get us some points. Caleb Aekins has been excellent for us, but Dylan Edwards should add a little more attacking finesse while being (hopefully) just as safe.

How many more games do you give Luai with Burton breathing down his neck? I think we may see Burton get slightly more game time this week, but ideally we won’t be in a position where we need a miracle play to win because the storm are a tough team who are probably the best at closing out matches.

Another good test to see where we’re at.

2 Likes

The closer we get to kick off, the more confident I am, with the 1 obvious consternation, that is, which team the ref will give the ascendancy too with these new I AM KING rules……

If I knew it would be even stevens in the refs calls, I would take the $5.70 at 13+ with a cost cover bet of 1-12.

Why am I so confident against what is essentially our bogie team?

2 Likes

Dunno why you’re so confident, Kev. I just hope you’re right!

1 Like

I’m not sure either but sure hope he’s right. We have clearly been in each game so far, only loss was by 6.
I think the storm are not a good as before, but always are hard to beat. They will have the pocket ref playing for them :open_mouth:

Hoping for a full 80’ display and getting the 2 points. I’ve got the beer in the fridge and my jersey on. C’mon boys!!!

1 Like

So far so good, even if both tries were off forward passes.

Hope we don’t drop off in the second half.

Api is in fine form, as is Cleary’s kicking game.

I notice Yeo standing at first receiver a few times - new tactic.

Edwards sniffing around the ruck has been missed and it’s good to see him back.

To’o is getting better every game

One of the best performances I’ve seen from Penrith over the last few years. Could’ve easily faded in the last 20 like last week but really deserved that win. Api’s made a huge difference this year and it was good to have Edwards back.

2 Likes

A very well executed, professional performance.

That try from Kikau!

Cleary had that game on a string, especially in the last 15 minutes.

It’s always great when we beat Melbourne.

Dare I say it, we almost look like contenders

1 Like

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

https://bit.ly/2CfMFQS

That was a really solid performance; so much to like about it, as the TV commentators have have discussed. Some other comments are :-
Billy Burns is at times a liability; he sometimes really is a Spaceman.
Dean Whare seems to have lost speed.
We had 7 sets of 6-again against us, none against the Storm. We are either an ill-disciplined team, or Penrith management needs to put a rocket up the NRL.
Josh Mansour seems to be running sideways more and more. Sometimes he finds a hole, at other times he is a sitting duck.

And Dylan Edwards gave us much more penetration running the ball back than did Caleb Aekins.