[2020] R7 Panthers v Rabbitohs - Game Day Thread

Game Day Information #NRLPanthersSouths

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v South Sydney Rabbitohs
:stadium: Venue Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah NSW
:clock10: Time Thursday 25th June 2019 8:00pm
:tickets: Tickets Limited tickets to be drawn by Panthers. TBA.
:stadium: Gates Open Event Closed to Public
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_large_cloud: Partly Cloudy 13°C (3% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel 9 FTA [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]
:warning: Notice NRL Matches will be played at venues closed to the public
until further advised. Please refrain from traveling to the
stadium or congregating outside stadiums as this is not encouraged.

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 20 Tries Brent Naden, Stephen Crichton, Dylan Edwards, Nathan Cleary
Goals Nathan Cleary (2/5)
South Sydney Rabbitohs 12 Tries Bayley Sironen, Alex Johnston
Goals Adam Reynolds (2/2)

:trophy: Dally M Awards Points

3pts Nathan Cleary Penrith Panthers
2pts James Tamou Penrith Panthers
1pt Jerome Luai Penrith Panthers

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE
https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra-premiership/2020/round-7/press-conference-panthers-v-rabbitohs---round-7-2020/
HIGHLIGHTS
COMING SOON

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MAN OF THE MATCH VOTING
https://bit.ly/3dwJgKB

Team

Telstra Premiership
:rugby_football: Panthers v Rabbitohs
:clock3: Thursday 25/6 8:00pm
:stadium: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards
2. Josh Mansour
3. Dean Whare
4. Stephen Crichton
5. Brian To’o
6. Jarome Luai
7. Nathan Cleary
8. James Tamou (C)
9. Api Koroisau
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Liam Martin
13. Isaah Yeo
INTERCHANGE
14. Matt Burton
15. Zane Tetevano
16. Moses Leota
17. Billy Burns
RESERVE
18. Mitch Kenny
19. Brent Naden
20. Jack Hetherington
21. Tyrone May
COACH
Coach: Ivan Cleary

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership
Referee Gerard Sutton
Sideline Official Callum Butler
Todd Smith
Video Referee Steve Chiddy
Ben Galea

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2020 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Gerard Sutton 2009 (0/1) 0% (7/31) 22.5% 114.5 114 1.004

I’m over confident already for this game, that is never a good thing.

Gerard Sutton needs to square the ledger though, lets see how many restarts we get this week, the Rabbits have been poo in that area also.

Carrrrrrrn the Panferrrrrrrrrs

2 Likes

Well, Kev, you were confident against the Storm & you were right, so fingers crossed.

Have to say, I’m not so sure. We’ve had 2 tough games in a row against the Eels & Storm. I’m wondering if we can maintain the intensity needed to step up again.

If we can, it will say a lot about the mentality of the team & how far we’ve come since last season.

Go Panthers! Fire up & smash them!

Bryan, that was a rising confidence as the week progressed.

I saw IC talking about how we are going and that he is very happy with our progress, that is never a good sign either.

In saying that, our core group of workhorses (JFH, Yeo, Martin Tetevano, Leota and Api) just need to maintain their efforts, if by chance the remaining “effort” men (man) get on board, we should be OK.

Their is no doubt we should be able to hold their middle, on the back of that their heroes should be nullified to an extent, that is where we will win this one, effort in the middle…BY ALL !!!

I am not sure about this game and after how the players reacted in beating Storm last week makes me think it was like a GF for them
Hope i am wildly wrong and any game in this comp is tough and Souths will not lay down for us.

Lots of great match ups across the park
This is a must win game IMO

Naden in for Mansour (knee injury)

Apparently Cleary has been battling a virus all week.

Being married to a Souths fan always makes this my least favourite game of the year. Backing up after last week’s game is a big ask and I wouldn’t be surprised if the boys look a bit fatigued. That being said, if they can play the way they did last week, Souths should be easy to beat.

Getting close to kick-off. Hoping for a strong performance like recent games.

Mansour out & Naden in.

C’mon boys!

Reasonable first half. We have defended well. We should probably have another try or two with the possession & field position we have had. I wonder if Cam Murray will have to visit the judiciary for his hit on Cleary in the first minute, it looked worthy of a penalty to me.

Good performance overall, bar Cleary’s goal kicking. Defensively we are showing more grit than we have for a couple of years & we are building off that.

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

https://bit.ly/3dwJgKB

Kevin, you’re ‘on fire’ and so are the Panthers.
Nice to see names like Crichton,Naden, Edwards, on the score sheet.
Dare I say it … there still appears to be room for improvement !

2 Likes

Well that was a game where we just never stopped working & got the win. Realistically the rabbits are not a contender at this point & that game was one that we needed to win & we found a way.

Not a bad player for us, but we can all see a change that needs to be made, ahead of his rumoured early departure to UK. Take a look at his defence on the play where Mitchell chimed in and dropped the ball cold. He had rushed up out of the line & then had turned, his back to the attack, and was running towards our goal line trying to look over both his right & left shoulder at the same time, heading towards the corner post. If Mitchell catches the ball he would have put his teammates under a lot of pressure again. Hopefully Sauce can be back next week & both Crichton & Naden can start.

NC, apart from his very uncharacteristic goal kicking, controlled the game very well. I really see he has come on now he has the team to himself, as much as we loved Jimmy.

I see improvement in us across the park & we are winning games. I just hope that we don’t get spooked when crowds start coming back :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Happy Days

That ref performance was shithouse if you ask me, how can we be so poor in the ruck and everyone that plays us so “well behaved” ?

That was Tamou best first 20 minutes I’ve seen from him since his Origin days, finally - he still needs to get aggressive after contact but happy to see him putting in like the others. It was definitely needed too, I thought Yeo and JFH looked tired, after their efforts the last couple of weeks it’s to be expected.

I love Liam Martin, next time I see him in Southlands i’m going to hug him, I hope he can’t fight lol

Dylan Edwards was rock solid and took up a bit of Mansour slack with his runs.

Q. why do Api and Kikau look so tired after 20 minutes, are they doing too much in the warm up - this is my biggest worry ATM, surely their fit, but they lack energy. Api defends in the middle so he has an excuse, maybe he is carrying some kind of injury.

Anyway - a good performance by us - assisted by Mitchell’s poor game

1 Like

There was rumors that both Api and Kikau were both “under the weather” this week health wise. But they both seemed to want to play… much like Nathan.’’

Not sure how much truth there was to it, but it might have something to do with it.

1 Like

Hey, Mr. Walker. In your post, you mentioned a change needing to be made “ahead of his rumoured early departure to the UK.” I’m not across this rumour. Can you name the player you’re talking about?

Dean Whare !

Thanks Steve, that makes sense - it is a good sign that they put the team first, we are in a good space with that mentality.

1 Like

Thanks, Kevin. I kind of figured he was the one, but I hadn’t heard that rumour.

BTW, it was great to see Naden back in the side last night. He could have had 3 tries in the first half. He’s been unlucky to be dropped, IMHO, but I can see what Crighton adds.

Also, a rap for Tetavano. He’s been a great buy for us. Was very solid last night and was an absolute monster against the Storm last week. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the pack is firing so well this year - coming from a premiership winning club, his presence has given the forwards an enormous lift.

1 Like

On the 6-again aspect, it’s not hard to be cynical. We might have received two of them last night, which makes the referees’ stats sheet look better, but both of ours were on the first tackle. So we gained the massive benefit of two tackles. But who is surprised? Out here in the west we’ve been treated like s@&t for 200 years by the big end of town, so it won’t change quickly, if at all. That was why 1991 in particular was so sweet.

1 Like