[2021] R20 Storm v Panthers - Game Day Thread

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Melbourne Storm v Penrith Panthers
:stadium: Venue Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane QLD
:clock10: Time Sunday 1st August 2021 4:00pm
:tickets: Tickets Not Available
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sunny: Sunny 24°C (1% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 10 Tries Brent Naden, Scott Sorensen.
Goals Matt Burton (1/2)
Melbourne Storm 37 Tries Dean Ieremia (3), Reimis Smith, Jesse Bromwich, Harry Grant.
Goals Cameron Munster (1/1), Nicho Hynes (1/2), Ryan Papenhuyzen (3/3) FG Ryan Papenhuyzen

:trophy: Dally M Points

Votes are now undisclosed

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

https://bit.ly/3lgrxi3

Teams

Telstra Premiership
:rugby_football: Storm v Panthers
:clock3: Sunday 1/8 4:00pm
:stadium: Suncorp Stadium
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards (c)
2. Charlie Staines
3. Stephen Crichton
4. Brent Naden
5. Robert Jennings
6. Matt Burton
7. Jarome Luai
8. Moses Leota
9. Mitch Kenny
10. Liam Martin
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Kurt Capewell
13. Matt Eisenhuth
INTERCHANGE
14. Izack Tago
15. Scott Sorensen
16. Spencer Leniu
17. J’Maine Hopgood
RESERVES
18. Paul Momirovski
19. Jaeman Salmon
20. Lindsay Smith :small_red_triangle_down:
21. Kurt Falls :small_red_triangle_down:
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary
AC Andrew Webster
AC Cameron Ciraldo

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership
Referee Ashley Klein
Sideline Official Dave Munro
Phil Henderson
Video Referee Henry Perenara

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2021 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Ashley Klein 2009 (4/4) 100% (13/37) 35.1% 139.5 142 0.98

Well done to the NRL. The long-awaited potential match of the year, and it’s not on free-to-air TV.

1 Like

My understanding is that Ch9 choose & they picked the Fri & Sun game in front of GF rematch - go figure. Fox have been highlighting they have this game exclusively for weeks. Makes no difference to me :slight_smile:

I’m with you FalcoPete, it stinks.
Another blatant disregard of the public in general.

As far as the NRL is concerned, if you are not paying for the broadcast then you are irrelevant. They are just obeying their Foxtel masters.

1 Like

We look to be missing quite a number of players for this game which takes the shine of it as we will not be at full strength

We already know about JFH, Too, May and Yeo are almost certainly not going to play and with this in mind i hope we keep Cleary in recovery. I am sure there may be others and IC said Pangai would not be available until the Roosters game

For these reasons, this game for me at least is more about who and how we play as opposed to the outcome and despite us missing so many, i am not prepared to concede the result is a loss for us.

I actually think this opens up some opportunities and might allow some to shine.

Maybe Falls gets a run at 7 leaving Luai at 6 with Burton and Chricton in the centres.

Yeo will be hardest to cover along with JFH

This is where we are weakest and most vulnerable and will need plenty of thought in who to play and how to rotate the roster to keep our intensity highest.

This might open up an opportunity for someone running around in the lower grades

Maybe allows Eisenhuth because of his size alone to get a start

If we lose, it wouldn’t bother me, its how we turn up which is of my interest

If we are in it for a long way i will be impressed and will do the team a lot of good, the danger will be Storm will want to start hard and fast ass they do, trying to ambush us to get out to a good early lead.

The first 10 minutes will show us if we are in the contest.

If we manage a win (which i believe is possible) it will be the best launching pad for our run into the finals.

OK, just caught up with the news about To’o & May. This will certainly test our depth, but I guess it’s better having all these guys out now rather than in Sept/Oct.

We need to win enough games between now & the finals to hopefully have a top 2 finish - having had only 2 losses thus far gives us a chance at that, and then it’s 2 wins to be in the GF.

Let’s see what team we can assemble & then give it our best shot v $torm.

What news - what is going on?

Westfund Injury Update: To’o and May - Panthers (penrithpanthers.com.au)

Hope that works

Brian To’o with a syndesmosis injury… requires surgery, out for up to 6 weeks.

Tyrone May with a left knee injury… out indefinitely.

Thanks Steve - Tóo is a huge blow for us, I guess we have a ready made replacement in Naden given Momo is available, just hope he can pump out the metres on kick returns AND play with the Tóo no nonsense mind set.

:mega: Team List and Match Officials have been added.

This reminds me of a game in the early 90s. We had a mass of injuries and were playing Canberra in Canberra. 2GB decided that we were no chance and didn’t even bother to cover the match. Steve Carter had a blinder and we won. Red faces all round. It also reminds me of a Warren Ryan quote from about the same time - 'Show me a team of blokes coming off contract, and I’ll show you a winning team" - all about effort.

$torm - I like that.

Grand Final rematch with more than half of our Grand Final team missing :roll_eyes:

And I thought Tóo was unbreakable.

thought Eisenhuth would get a start but not at lock, he will be OK at lock as long as they don’t move the ball and or play 2 metres either side of him because he cannot move that quick

I think that is a furphy and he won’t start at lock.

More disappointed he didn’t go with Falls who is a 7

despite all of this, we will either win it in a very close tussle or we will get lapped, just cannot see any other result

Spencer will get alot of minutes, don’t know what he has to do to get a start, but given the game, probs better to have impact of the bench.

It is still a pretty good looking side given our circumstances !

Our pack will need to aim up right from the start, and we need to keep errors to a minimum. It’s guaranteed the Storm will start hard & fast, and try to blow us off the park. If we’re not prepared for that & don’t match them, it’ll be the GF all over again - game over before half time.

But, if the forwards can match the Storm’s & we control our errors, Luai & Burton have the kicking games to pressure the Storm. Our defence will have to improve markedly on recent efforts & our back three will have to try & make up for missing To’o’s metres out of our quarter. Actually, I’d give that job to Crighton. He’s a big boy & I think the responsibility may be good for him.

Not too fussed if we win or not, the main thing I want to see is pride & effort, to send a message to the Storm that “We gave you a hell of a game with half our team & 3/4 of our spine out. Imagine what we’ll do to you when we’ve got our whole team back!”

6 Likes