[2021] R5 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v Canberra Raiders
:stadium: Venue Bluebet Stadium, Penrith NSW
:clock10: Time Friday 9th April 2021 7:55pm
:tickets: Tickets Available via Ticketek
:stadium: Gates Open Open at 5:20pm
:rugby_football: Other Matches NSW Penrith Panthers v Canberra Raiders 9/4 5:30pm
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :full_moon: Clear 20°C (7% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel Nine (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]
:warning: Notice To ensure the safety of everyone at Bluebet Stadium, all fans will be required to
check in on the Service NSW app or webform before entering the venue.

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 30 Tries Charlie Staines (2), Matt Burton, Jerome Luai, Nathan Cleary.
Goals Nathan Cleary (5/5)
Canberra Raiders 10 Tries Jack Wighton, Jarrod Croker.
Goals Jarrod Croker (1/2)

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 24 Tries Thomas Jenkins, Jaeman Salmon, Robert Jennings, Izack Tago.
Goals Kurt Falls (4/4)
Canberra Raiders 10 Tries Corey Horsburgh, Caleb Aekins
Goals Sam Williams (1/2)

:trophy: Dally M Points

Pts Player Team
:1st_place_medal: 3pts Nathan Cleary Penrith Panthers
:2nd_place_medal: 2pts James Fisher-Harris Penrith Panthers
:3rd_place_medal: 1pts Brian To’o Penrith Panthers

Judge: Nathan Hindmarsh

Postgame Media

PRESS CONFERENCE

MATCH REPORT

HIGHLIGHTS

MATCH GALLERY

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

https://bit.ly/3s8MOtI

Teams

Telstra Premiership Knock On Effect NSW Cup
:rugby_football: Panthers v Raiders :rugby_football: Panthers v Raiders
:clock3: Thursday 1/4 7:55pm :clock3: Saturday 9/4 5:30pm
:stadium: Bluebet Stadium :stadium: Bluebet Stadium
TEAM
1. Stephen Crichton 1. Brent Naden
2. Charlie Staines 2. Tom Jenkins
3. Paul Momirovski 3. Robert Jennings
4. Matt Burton 4. Izack Tago
5. Brian To’o 5. Taylan May
6. Jarome Luai 6. Jaeman Salmon
7. Nathan Cleary (C) 7. Kurt Falls
8. Moses Leota 8. Jayden Tanner
9. Mitch Kenny 9. Brendan Hands
10. James Fisher-Harris 10. Lindsay Smith
11. Viliame Kikau 11. John Faiumu
12. Kurt Capewell 12. Scott Sorensen
13. Isaah Yeo (C) 13. J’Maine Hopgood
INTERCHANGE
14. Tyrone May 14. Trent Toelau
15. Spencer Leniu 15. Alec Susino
16. Matt Eisenhuth 16. Billy Tsikrikas
17. Liam Martin 17. Anton Iaria
RESERVES
18. Scott Sorensen 18. Sunia Turuva
19. Robert Jennings
20. J’Maine Hopgood
21. Jaeman Salmon
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Peter Wallace
AC Andrew Webster AC Kevin Kingston
AC Cameron Ciraldo

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership K.O.E Cup NSW NSW Jersey Flegg
Referee Gerard Sutton TBA TBA
Sideline Official Todd Smith TBA TBA
Phil Henderson TBA TBA
Video Referee Steve Chiddy - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2021 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Gerard Sutton 2009 (0/0) - % (19/36) 52.78% 132 139.5 0.95

damn it…I will be driving back from SA and will miss being at the game AGAIN :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

:mega: Team lists and Officials have been added.

No surprises we named the same team, but I do find it interesting Jennings is named on the extended bench. Maybe 18th man or a ruse?

He is also named at 3 in the NSW Cup side and i think its irrelevant as unlikely to get a run
Naden is named at 1 in the NSW Cup Side

On the NRL squad, one wouldn’t expect any changes

Raiders to me look fragile but they can and often lift for certain games and this will be one Ricky has them up for.

Its at home and we have a solid unchanged squad.

will be tighter than we hope for but we should win.

Usually 18-21 are also named in the Reserve Grade side. These are player they are required to name on Tuesday and can be used as alternates in the event of an injury in the lead up to the match.

This should be a cracker. I’m hearing it’s a ‘sell-out’, whatever that means these days. We shouldn’t be too cocky as at the end of the day we only just got there v the storm. Enjoy folks, enjoy.

Think we are back to 100% capacity Puss. So should be a packed house.

Except for “standing only areas” whatever that means.

Great all round performance. Early on it looked like it may not have been our night, but when we clicked into gear we became the well oiled machine that has won 25 out of 28 games since the start of last season. Going to be hard to pick just 3 again, a happy headache to have.

PS. How was good was our Viking clap?
:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

https://bit.ly/3s8MOtI

that win showed us almost everything but as nice as the win was there were quite a few issues we need to address.

The elephant int he room is Crichton, i am certain he is NOT a FB and on his current form he has me a little troubled because Burton is playing so great and again he appears to be giving Kikau either room or the confidence to show us just what he is capable of.

Next is Eisenhuth who i can only describe as average at best albeit in a team who are simply going to another level.

Lastly, our mistakes. NO team in this era can win a comp making the mistakes we made last night.

That being said, i think the level we are playing at is “hiding” our flaws and i do mean we are at another level.
Mutley pointed out it will be hard to pick 3 out of the team last night and maybe just easier to leave out who was not up to this new level.

Kikau took an angry pill and had another great game but again with such great games from JFH,Leot and Yeo, we hurt their forward pack big time both in defence and attack.

Luai know truly understands what he has but again along with Too and Burton are proving to be absolute class and young Staines sure has something.

Raiders tried to ambush us last night and we not only weathered the onslaught we gave them back the pain, double.

They were out on their feet and our boys were still running hard right to the 80 minute mark.

The great news out of such a win is we can improve and improve markedly which should put future opponents on notice.

2 concerns for me…IC has to keep this teams feet on the ground and heads out of the clouds because its only April and an awful long way to go.

And does NC have a groin issue?

His intercept was brilliant but he didn’t stretch out like i thought he could to score.

Great win and a huge congrats to the Panther fans at the ground…legends!!!

2 Likes

Agree re: Chrichton. He is is a good hole runner on an edge, but average kick return. I’d have Staines at the back until Edwards returns.

I noticed Cleary seemed to be in slow motion after the intercept. Maybe some time off to rest will do him some good. We have an embarrassment of riches at the moment, and a few easy games coming up.

Something I noted earlier - Cleary has outscored the opposition in every game he has played this year
:joy::joy::joy:

wan’t it Crichton who set up a Staines try with a lovely pass???

it’s a temporary position until Edwards returns (how long) ?
You may as well suggest Burton, he can play everywhere else by looks !!!

Leave ‘em be while they’re winning. The fact we can only get better with Edwards return must be causing a few sleepless nights in the coaches boxes.

1 Like

Disagree with the comments about NC. Looking at the replay the only person making any ground on him was Charlie Stains.

Marvellous performance by the boys and I wouldn’t even attempt to award MOM to anyone.

The only downside for me was the announcement of the death of Prince Philip during the game - RIP.

1 Like

Well what a game and experience!

Up there with one of the best at ground crowd experience I have had, our worst performance of the year, and we beat a top4 team by 20 points!

Error ridden, yet know one could say we won ugly. We pulled ourself out of the quagmire, and put on a show.

First things first, as anyone who say the game would agree, Crighton has some issues. Not meaning to death ride him by any means, but his lack of positioning, momentary loss of concentration and general poor vision means he can’t play fullback. We may get away with it for another week against the Broncos, but his defense is just plain woeful.

Now the good news; when our stars fail to shine, the others lift and we win as a team. Special shout out to Spencer and Martin off the bench.

Despite others not rating him, I see great potential in Momirovski, he’s improving every game and getting into the groove. Reminds me somewhat of Whateira in the way he plays.

Burton is our number 1 centre at the moment. If Crighton wasn’t on the big money I could seem him in reggies based on form. Can’t see Naden getting a look in baring injury.

The combination of Burton and Kikau in defense just monsters the opposition edge. Offers attacking potential which beggars belief.

Staines is more than living up to expectations, he something special for sure.

To’o - I need not say more. We have certainly not lost anything instead upgraded on sending Mansour to the bunnies.

Luai is getting better each and every week.

Cleary had a good but not great game I thought, some of his kick options left a bit to be desired, I also feel he needs to share the kicking more. I think he is also a weapon when he runs at the line.

Our forwards all did their job, but got battered and bruised in the first 25. The fact we held them to allow the game to open up was the platform for our win.

It’s on this note why I wouldn’t switch our centres when Edwards returns. Defense wins matches, and on current form I can’t see how we can let Crighton leak points.

Kenny and May doing the job expected of them. May even played at prop for a bit, so that’s all positions covered by him now lol.

The crowd was fantastic! Had the Raiders fans and drum next to us on the Southern Hill, it was great to silence the clap. Annoyed them no end.

Channel 9 with their tent and stand take up about 1k capacity as no one can use the South west corner. Something the club and NRL should look into.

On the subject of game day, the beer and food lines were woeful. What’s with no hotdogs at every home game this year? In years gone by they used to set up additional beer outlets around the ground, think they need to look at that again for 15k+ crowds.

Getting their early I got a good look at reserve grade. Jennings and May will be good injury replacements if needed in the backs. Salmon looks like a future star. Lindsay Smith looks reading for a go off the bench, but needs to build more body weight before playing in the middle, so I’d give him a run on the edge.

All good problems to have. We can play hard and tough, defend better than any team in the league, and score at will once the platform is set. And as seem last night we can even overcome an error ridden start.

We need to keep winning these early games, our run home over the final 5 rounds is a bit of a nightmare.

2 Likes

Stephen Crichton has been slapped with a Grade 1 Contrary Conduct Charge.

$1,350 with the early guilty plea, or an $1,800 penalty if he is found guilty by the NRL Judiciary.

He should set up a gofundme; plenty of other players just as culpable even if it was only a bit of push and shove.

1 Like

Well , not our best display, but I will never tire of turning up to see these guys play. By any measure the Raiders are a top 6 side, we played a very ordinary first 25mins and win by 20!
How good was it to be part of a full-house again. And I agree with SHF - piss that Ch9 tent off, and the catering lines were a disgrace. Can we get someone from the football management team on the venue management team. How much revenue was lost because people cannot get served?
Hard to single out individual players again, as the errors were shared around, as were the mighty efforts. There is no pack that we should fear, we take what they give and then give it to them harder.
When I watch Critter at FB I get memories of some of Rhys Wessers play, with some crazy plays that he came up with at times, but the guy is an athlete & will do more good than harm.
Is Burto’s contract with the dogs watertight, as he must be having 2nd thoughts.
I hope that Whitton did the right thing and gave NC his medal :wink:
That Panther clap was pretty good.
EDIT: just wanted a add that I was very proud to be in that crowd last night. In the silent tribute to Tommy R there was not a sound, not a murmur, and then applause at the end - well done all!

We should go a long way this year & I for one am along for the ride.

3 Likes