[2021] R6 Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers
:stadium: Venue Suncorp Stadium, Milton NSW
:clock10: Time Thursday 15th April 2021 7:50pm
:tickets: Tickets Available via Ticketek
:rugby_football: Other Matches NSW Penrith Panthers v St George Illawarra Dragons 17/4 1:00pm*
JFC Penrith Panthers v St George Illawarra Dragons 17/4 11:30am*
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :full_moon: Clear 20°C (4% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel Nine (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

* NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg fixtures are to be played at Bluebet Stadium, Penrith on Saturday 17th April.

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 20 Tries Kurt Capewell, Matt Burton, Nathan Cleary.
Goals Nathan Cleary (3/4) 2FG Nathan Cleary (1/1)
Brisbane Broncos 12 Tries Tevita Pangai Junior, Ethan Bullemor.
Goals Jamayne Isaako (2/3)

:trophy: Dally M Points

Pts Player Team
:1st_place_medal: 3pts James Fisher-Harris Penrith Panthers
:2nd_place_medal: 2pts Nathan Cleary Penrith Panthers
:3rd_place_medal: 1pt Payne Haas Brisbane Broncos

Judge: Andrew Johns

Judiciary

Player Charge Grade Points (Early) Points Suspension
Paul Mimirovski Dangerous Contact (Head) 2 225 300 2-3 weeks

Postgame Media

PRESS CONFERENCE

MATCH REPORT

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

https://bit.ly/3gcaL0V

Teams

Telstra Premiership Knock On Effect NSW Cup Jersey Flegg
:rugby_football: Broncos v :rugby_football: Panthers v Dragons :rugby_football: Panthers v Dragons
:clock3: Thursday 15/4 7:55pm :clock3: Saturday 17/4 1:00pm :clock3: Saturday 17/4 11:30pm
:stadium: Suncorp Stadium :stadium: Bluebet Stadium :stadium: Bluebet Stadium
TEAM
1. Stephen Crichton 1. Brent Naden 1. Sadee Sub Laban
2. Charlie Staines 2. Robert Jennings 2. Logan Dickson
3. Paul Momirovski 3. Taylan May 3. Elone Taufa
4. Matt Burton 4. Izack Tago 4. Tom Jenkins
5. Brian To’o 5. Sunia Turuva 5. Ethan Clark-Wood
6. Jarome Luai 6. Jaeman Salmon 6. Niwhai Puru
7. Nathan Cleary (C) 7. Kurt Falls 7. Hayden Bonanno
8. Moses Leota 8. Jayden Tanner 8. Mavrik Geyer
9. Mitch Kenny 9. Brendan Hands 9. Connor Mason
10. James Fisher-Harris 10. Lindsay Smith 10. Liam Henry
11. Viliame Kikau 11. John Faiumu 11. Hohepa Puru
12. Kurt Capewell 12. Scott Sorensen 12. Vito Tevaga
13. Isaah Yeo (C) 13. J’Maine Hopgood 13. Brad Fearnley
INTERCHANGE
14. Tyrone May 14. Soni Luke 14. Immanuel Tagaloamatua
15. Spencer Leniu 15. Alec Susino 15. Luke Bain
16. Matt Eisenhuth 16. Billy Tsikrikas 16. Sunita Lotoaniu
17. Liam Martin 17. Eddie Blacker 17. Tyreece Tonga
RESERVES
18. Scott Sorensen 18. Anton Iaria 18. Flynn Isaacs
19. Robert Jennings 19. Ilai Tuia
20. J’Maine Hopgood
21. Jaeman Salmon
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Peter Wallace
AC Andrew Webster AC Kevin Kingston
AC Cameron Ciraldo

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership K.O.E Cup NSW NSW Jersey Flegg
Referee Grant Atkins Jake Sutherland Charlie Suters
Sideline Official Matt Noyen Cameron Mitchell Cameron Mitchell
Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski John Woods John Woods
Video Referee Steve Chiddy - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2021 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Grant Atkins 2011 (1/1) 100 % (13/18) 72.22% 70 72.5 0.97

Wow… juts had a quick glance at the odds:

Panthers 1.04 to Broncos 14.00 and a Broncos +26.5 line

Bookies are smelling blood in the water… going to be a bloodbath.

I hope that our team don’t read that. Complacency has killed many a team’s chances, and momentum in a game can be hard to reverse.

1 Like

:mega: Team Lists and Match Officials have been updated here.

After Lodge’s claim that the Broncos are as talented if not more talented, I’m hoping our boys are keen to prove him wrong in a very big way.

This is another perfect opportunity to play our stamina game, kick on the 3rd regularly and just keep turning them around, keep the ball in play so no let ups, they will fade badly with 20 to go and we can run up a cricket score on em.

NSW Cup team reveals Naden is back and (new chum)
Eddie Blacker is on the bench for his debut.

:thinking:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Whilst i share the enthusiasm for our team on here i do have to keep my feet on the ground and this game is a real test for us tonight

Before everyone climbs in, i might explain why

This week, i have never seen such an orchestrated campaign from almost everyone against our squad.

Its been from unbridled adulation to offensive remarks about the boys being “mug lairs”

Herein lies the risk, its an onslaught of “white noise” and i am sure IC has spent some time on this with the squad and lets hope he has got them grounded and especially for this game

Broncos are and have been terrible so far this year despite a new coach, but at some point and in some game they will turn up.
Indeed they have in a few games but faded badly when the tide turned.

Our boys should expect another “ambush” similar to the Raiders last week from the Broncos and will need to overcome their early enthusiasm to break them down and run away with the game

That being said, that only applies if we are focussed and don’t take this mob for granted and just expect to get the outcome

We will have to fight for this win.

I want to see us execute a game plan with precision tonight, no dropped balls and poor completion rates like last week.

If we go through our processes and execute at 85% plus we should win going away

Lets just play footy boys, get the job done and get home with no injuries and or anyone on report.

Crichton needs to lift tonight and holds the key for us.

2 Likes

I disagree with the Crichton comment SBF in the fact, he doesn’t hold the key for us. Yes we would all like to see him ‘lift’ and by that it is only his handling and at times decision making. His effort IMO is not in question.

I 100% agree that we need to play to a game plan, if we think we can just turn up it will be difficult to control the game. Like I said, I would like to see us win this one with early stamina as our core effort area, these Bronco’s are nowhere near our physical/fitness levels and we should exploit that.

Panthers x 40+

1 Like

I agree that this is potentially a danger game, with all the white noise around, and an opposition that hasn’t been performing in last couple of years. With a young side it would be easy to get distracted.

On the other hand, I think that last week was our worst completion rate in 2 seasons, and doubt we will be anywhere near that poor again. If we complete at our normal rate, we should win comfortably.

2 Likes

If we’ve survived the Raiders early onslaught and fought back accordingly we can only beat ourselves v Broncos.

I’m confident we won’t fall for any ‘horsy’ shenanigans and get the job done as a team with our talent should. If we can’t account for the teams
at the lower end of the table how in hell do we expect to deal with the upper echelon. The Melbourne game almost undid all the good work
except for the ‘hand of Kikau’ who is flirting with ‘god’ like status at the foot of the mountains.

Panthers comfortably !!! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I agree that the Broncos tactic will be to hit the Panthers hard early. I think they know they won’t outlast us so the best tactic is to try to put on as many points in the first half and try to weather the barrage in the second half. The second tactic they will try is to slow the game down and frustrate the Panthers as much as possible (mush like the Raiders) and try to get the Panthers to be off their game.

I trust that Ivan probably knows this is what will happen as well, but after the Raiders game, they will be sure to have trained for these tactics to be employed by the Broncos as there were effective last week.

I feel the first 15 minutes will be a real fight. But ones the team settles into the game, I think they will start to work the set plays and choke the Broncos or position and possession. I feel we could steamroll them. Would not be surprised to see 50 (or even 60) put on the Broncos.

3 Likes

In summary from all of the above, if a team doesn’t do the basics right (pass, catch and tackle) then any game can be lost. It’s hard to imagine that IC wouldn’t have covered all bases, including the mental side.

1 Like

I guess the mental preparation for every game will get us nervous from this a point in.

The commentators are certainly naming us premiership favorites, with articles such as “ who will be first to beat Penrith”.

We have the team, the stamina and the skill to earn that mantle. The challenge here in will be keeping us grounded and to the task at hand.

As was mentioned above, never forget getting the basic right. Turn them around often, wear them out, the. And only then let the dazzle dazzle begin.

1 Like

There was a period during Anthony Griffins reign at the foot of the mountains where we were regarded as the comeback kings. So for me
the razzle dazzle might be great to watch but I figure NRL is an 80minute game.

2 Likes

Well, Brisbane is sure here to play.

I hate to say it again, but Crighton is the weakest link.

I’m hopeful we can come back

1 Like

This is all round poor from Panthers. The forwards look tired. Momirovski doesn’t seem to know he has a winger outside him. We’re just going through the motions. We need to regroup and lift our game, now.

1 Like

Credit to the Broncos, they have turned up tonight. I question the last pass on their second try though, looked forward to me.

Regardless, we need to lift if we want to make it 6 in a row.