[2021] R7 Panthers v Knights - Game Day Thread

Jennings confirmed for NSW Cup a few minutes ago, so that means at least 1 of Dylan or Api will be in the final 17

1 Like

I reckon Dylan will play, Api to get another week off.

Could well be wrong of course lol

Confirmed, Edwards playing, Chricton centre, Capewell second row, Martin bench.

Koroisau out.

Newcastle’s third man in (to tackle) invariably flops. Don’t they penalise that anymore?

This ref is only refereeing one side. Newcastle scored thru our error,
but sure as hell are getting a leg up.

After 3 six agains in the first tackle you would think we would earn a penalty

and another forward pass, this one early second half.

and then a six again penalty for layin on.

I re iterate this ref is havin a shocker.

and now …

Good game from BOTH sides. The only one off colour was the ref.

1 Like

Happy with our defence, but gee didn’t we bomb some tries.

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

https://bit.ly/3auQnUY

i wouldn’t focus on bad ref calls as its a fact of life we get more bad calls than any team and it is what it is
on the game i thought Knights were ok but gees they did some dumb things and almost all their kicks were terrible without putting any or little pressure on Edwards (who had a brilliant game save for 1 missed tackle) and why wouldn’t they kick to Too as Broncos did last week?

They sadly are a 1 man team and Ponga alone cannot carry them and again it showed last night

Us on the other hand looked better with Crichton in the centres (thank god he wasn’t FB) and Edwards was a threat everywhere

Burton has slotted into his position and i cannot see him being moved .

JFH was enormous last night but Capewell was below his best and Kikau is either nursing an injury or is not completely fit and he too had an off night

It was touched on our bombed tries and the score could have been significantly worse for them if we had of put it all together which again is a little scary because i believe we still haven’t hit top gear as yet

Sure some of the team are running at 100% but a few are not

But we keep winning and note to self…great to see the excitement back in scoring etc.

Nice win and hope all the boys pull up well.

3 Likes

Well another Thu night, another win :slight_smile: Never gunna tire of that.

Whilst not blowing them off the park, it was a pretty comprehensive win. When we complete at 80+% we will win most games, as we have more options & game management than most. Knights also completed at 80+% which kept them close, without ever really threatening to take control.
We dominated field position, with our kicks being attacking ones, whilst the knights were almost always kicking from their 30 or 40, and we were then starting most sets near halfway on the return.

The Knights were also allowed to slow the game down which worked much better for them than for us. At one stage one punter asked were we playing Melbourne so bad was the holding on in the tackles.
Gerard Sutton is a a joke & should be fined for bringing the game into disrepute - the only thing missing from his display was the clown music.

We scored early from a grubber to an out of position Ponga & then went away from that? Also we didn’t really bomb him, more lobbing them towards the line. The guy is scared of the ball - just take a look at his ‘effort’ when Burto put up a real towering bomb.

In the forwards, Fish & Yeo were outstanding, To’o ran for a half marathon distance & Luai & NC were several classes above their opponents. IC is going to have some big calls to make when Momorovski is available again in a couple of weeks

We are always going to be challenged by teams trying to knock us off, but we have the capability to keep winning. The Origin period shapes as a challenge.

we can enjoy our weekend with another W under our belts & I shall have a drink for the diggers on Sunday - LEST WE FORGET.

3 Likes

I loved what I saw from our back 5 last night, and don’t see Momo getting back on barring injury.

The switch of Crighton to right centre worked wonders. We are no longer left dominated in attack, especially when Martin is playing on the edge.

Edwards showed he is class above in everything he does. His work off the ball in organizing the defense is a lesson for any fullback, yes he got palmed off on their one try, but was never out of position. Follows the forwards ready for an offload in attack.

2 special plays by us which were good to see us testing our bag of tricks. The Edwards try was a masterpiece of deception, with Kikau, Burton and To’o lining up on the left, Luai racing left from the scrum as it was fed, causing two defenders to shift left from the middle. Yeo picks up from the scrum base to a straight running Edwards to go in under the posts - perfectly executed deception play.

The other didn’t result in a try, but showed it talent, on the last 25 metres out. Cleary dummy’s to kick, passes outside to Burton who puts a hooked grubber in. Didn’t execute 100% (he needed to kick a little harder to get it in goal and turn more to midfield) but showed promise as another attacking option.

Good to see Burton taking some kicks, my only fault of Cleary is he tends sometimes to take on too much of the kicking responsibility. When you have skill across the park, use them, just like Gower did with Girdler.

To’o and Edwards both ran for almost 300m, which is incredible considering the strength of the opposition and their spoiling tactics In the ruck.

I thought Luai’s try should have gone to the video. Just another of the refs questionable calls.

It was a cold night for April. Glad to part of it though.

2 Likes

You know what I am impressed with is when May comes on, you have 4 halves on the field and 6 kicking options (Cleary, Luai, Burton, May, Crichton, Capewell).

It must be a nightmare having to defend on the last with so many options coming at you, it’s right across the field… the could strike from anywhere.

Regarding the Knights, they are relying too much on Ponga and Mann. I think they both had good games, but they can only do so much out there, and at times, it showed.

Anyway… onwards and upwards.

1 Like

And I have heard from an impeccable source that Rafferty lives at Bondi.

2 Likes

Wow, just saw the stats. Maybe I just haven’t paid attention in the past, but everyone in the starting lineup except Kenny ran for more than 100m & to make up for that, Martin off the bench also ran for more than 100m. Is that a record.

Also our kick metres were way down. I guess we ran the ball so far, there wasn’t much distance to kick it, else it would have been in the Paceway or Howell Oval :slight_smile:

Saw IC stating that he has spoken to the refs boss about the slowing down of the play the balls. He said we lead the league in many of the categories but are only 9th in number of play the balls under 4 seconds. Well we have played $torm & have had Sutton in 2 games!! I’m sure piece of s&%t Crawley will be all over that this week - NOT!

2 Likes

these spoiling tactics piss me off, if we reciprocate we get penalised.
It was bloody obvious what the Knights had planned. Does the ref make these ‘6 again’ calls or someone in the box out of the wind.
How do you make a captains challenge on inaction after 4 straight ‘I think it was’ 6 again calls (in favour) after the first tackle??? How many before receiving a penalty? This is an area the League need to review.

2 Likes

The 6 again is already irrelevant in many instances, teams are laying in the tackle on the first, knowing full well there won’t be a penalty, so they actually achieve a set defensive line by giving away 1 extra tackle.

If the 6 again call is required on the 1st tackle, blow the penalty and let the attacking team kick for touch, that way the defense will have a set defensive line, but 30m+ downfield.

2 Likes

Totally agree Kev.

I say if the six again happens on the first tackle then it should be ruled as a penalty instead.

1 Like

How is it you have a sensible explanation and the authorities,
don’t have a bloody clue ? :upside_down_face:

3 Likes