Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
:stadium: Venue Bluebet Stadium, Penrith NSW
:clock10: Time Friday 7th May 2021 6:00pm
:tickets: Tickets Available via Ticketek
:stadium: Gates Open Open at 4:30pm1
:rugby_football: Other Matches NSW Penrith Panthers v Newtown Jets 8/5 1:00pm2
JFC Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sutherland Sharks 8/5 11:00am2
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_small_cloud: Partly Cloudy 18°C (22% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]
100x100 COVIDSAFE
To ensure the safety of everyone at Bluebet Stadium, all fans will be required to check in on the Service NSW app using the QR code provided or by using the COVIDSFE webform before entering the venue. Please also maintain distance from other supporters while entering and exiting the stadium.

1 Due to match changes on Friday, gate opening has moved to 4:30pm
2 Upgraded NRL COVID-19 protocols have forced the NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg Fixtures to Saturday 8/5

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 48 Tries Charlie Staines (3), James Fisher-Harris, Stephen Crichton, Matt Burton, Viliame Kikau, Matthew Eisenhuth
Goals Nathan Cleary (8/8)
Cronulla Sharks 0 Tries None.
Goals None.

:rugby_football: K.O.E NSW Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 46 Tries Thomas Jenkins (2), Adam Fearnley (2), Soni Luke, Liam Henry, Ethan Clark-Wood, Luke Sommerton
Goals Niwhai Puru (7/8)
Newtown Jets 18 Tries Edward Aiono (2), Bronson Garlick, D’Rhys Miller
Goals Honeti Tuha (1/4)

:rugby_football: Jersey Flegg Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 20 Tries Sunita Lotoaniu, Flynn Isaacs, Mavrik Geyer, Immanuel Tagalomatua
Goals Connor Mason (1/2), Hayden Bonanno (1/2)
Cronulla Sharks 20 Tries James Coyne, Isaac Longmuir, Blake Hosking, Jack Boyling,
Goals Jordan Samrani (1/2), Isaac Longmuir (1/2)

:trophy: Dally M Points

Pts Player Team
:1st_place_medal: 3pts Nathan Cleary Penrith Panthers
:2nd_place_medal: 2pts Kurt Capewell Penrith Panthers
:3rd_place_medal: 1pt James Fisher-Harris Penrith Panthers

Judge: Wendell Sailor

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

PHOTO GALLERY

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

https://bit.ly/3b6BLLN

Teams

Telstra Premiership Knock On Effect NSW Cup Jersey Flegg
:rugby_football: Panthers v Sharks :rugby_football: Panthers v Jets :rugby_football: Panthers v Sharks
:clock3: Friday 7/5 2:15pm :clock3: Friday 7/5 3:45pm :clock3: Friday 7/5 6:00pm
:stadium: Bluebet Stadium :stadium: Bluebet Stadium :stadium: Bluebet Stadium
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Jake Toby :small_red_triangle: 1. Sadee Sub Laban
2. Charlie Staines 2. Luke Nadurutalo :small_red_triangle: 2. Flynn Isaacs
3. Stephen Crichton 3. Vito Tevaga :small_red_triangle: 3. Elone Taufa
4. Matt Burton 4. Tom Jenkins :small_red_triangle: 4. Immanuel Tagaloamatua
5. Brian To’o 5. Ethan Clark-Wood :small_red_triangle: 5. Lachlan Blackburn :small_red_triangle:
6. Jarome Luai 6. Niwhai Puru :small_red_triangle: 6. Connor Mason :small_red_triangle:
7. Nathan Cleary (C) 7. Soni Luke :small_red_triangle: 7. Hayden Bonanno
8. Moses Leota 8. Billy Tsikrikas 8. Mavrik Geyer
9. Apisai Koroisau 9. Luke Sommerton :small_red_triangle: 9. Ryley Smith :small_red_triangle:
10. James Fisher-Harris 10. Alec Susino :small_red_triangle: 10. Ilai Tuia :small_red_triangle:
11. Viliame Kikau 11. John Faiumu 11. Sunita Lotoaniu :small_red_triangle:
12. Kurt Capewell 12. Arthur Crichton 12. Zac Lipowicz :small_red_triangle:
13. Isaah Yeo (C) 13. Jayden Tanner :small_red_triangle: 13. Hohepa Puru :small_red_triangle:
INTERCHANGE
14. Tyrone May 14. Adam Fearnley :small_red_triangle: 14. Braith Alexander :small_red_triangle:
18. Scott Sorensen :small_red_triangle: 15. Liam Henry :small_red_triangle: 15. John Sagaga :small_red_triangle:
16. Matt Eisenhuth 16. Anton Iaria :small_red_triangle: 16. Reece Alderton :small_red_triangle:
17. Liam Martin 17. Brad Fearnley :small_red_triangle: 18. Mason Teague :small_red_triangle:
RESERVE
15. Spencer Leniu:small_red_triangle_down: 19. Ash Cosgrove :small_red_triangle:
19. J’Maine Hopgood
20. Robert Jennings
21. Mitch Kenny:small_red_triangle_down:
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Peter Wallace HC Ben Harden
AC Andrew Webster AC Brad Drew
AC Cameron Ciraldo

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership K.O.E Cup NSW NSW Jersey Flegg
Referee Chris Butler Jake Sutherland Ben McMurray
Sideline Official Jon Stone Rickey McFarlane Luke Saldern
Kasey Badger Tim Hannon Rickey McFarlane
Video Referee Matt Noyen - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2021 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Chris Butler 2014 (0/0) 100 % (3/7) 42.86% 24 30.5 0.79

Unchanged - Note the sharks has Moylan as 18th man, he always lifts against us.

Will Chambers will be a good battle with Critter…VERBALLY :rofl:

Capewell NRL and Blacker NSW Cup, back from injury ???

Pretty sure Blacker is back, Puss. Capewell, not so sure. After the game last week, I thought he was supposed to have injured a rib & be out for a couple of weeks.

Haven’t heard anything, but I doubt he’ll play. More likely Martin will start and one of the reserves will get elevated into the 17.

I reckon this could be Hopgood’s week for a call up

1 Like

Did I see that correctly, dropping Leniu but retaining Eisenhuth? There must be aspect of league that I don’t understand.

2 Likes

:mega: Late Changes have been added to team lists.

:mega: Due to COVID-19 regulations there have been changes to the Game Day on Friday, please take note.

appears that way and unless he has an injury, its hard to understand
on the game, as with all games now we face a huge task and lots will depend on which Cronulla side turns up.
if they come for the fight we will have one and with potential rain will even the sides out a little.

If form and ability is a guide we should win but always beware a wounded opponent.

Just hope we get away with the win and sustain no injuries and or anyone on report.

Cronulla have nothing to lose and may resort to the niggle

2 Likes

There can only be 1 reason, the fact he is named 18th man for reggies suggests it is disciplinary…maybe he ‘Forgot’ to turn up to training, or told NC he’s a hog :rofl:

OR - and here is the Kev brain (mouse on the wheel) in action, IC has put a pup in the side along with Eisenhuth as a measure, we all know Spencer has the goods for 1’s but can Sorenson take the next step…all he has to do is out perform the slug Eisenhuth and he has himself a bench spot…LOVE YA WORK IVAN

1 Like

He only is listed at #18 @Kevin is that #15 allocated in the NSW Cup side and numbering rules would state he would have to take the next available jersey (or actually any jersey as longs as it wasn’t already allocated). They also haven’t also stated where he will play, I would assume he would drop into the starting squad.

1 Like

I wouldn’t write too much into Spence playing reserves, I just think Cleary is starting to rotate his bench.

Still would be surprised if Hopgood plays instead of Eisenhuth or possibly even Kikau. With the high likelihood that Yeo will play SOO and certainty that Capewell will, we will need to call upon the likes of Sorensen, Hopgood and Smith to cover.

Even Martin and Leota have being spoken of for SOO, and unlike a winger who will have to cover To’o, the forwards will need all the first grade conditioning they can get.

What better time to blood the next generation than against an out of sorts Sharks team?

1 Like

I read somewhere that it was to get minutes into Spencer ahead of the time he is likely to have to play more minutes when SOO commitments happen. I heard him say that he was feeling it at times, especially on a set reset.
I remember reading what Moses said about how he had to adjust to starting, as coming off the bench had meant he was coming into the game when starters were tiring, but starting meant everyone was fresh.
Now many of you will recall I was occasionally critical of coaches, selections, tactics, recruitment etc in the past. Find it had to find fault with the coach who has lost just 1 game in past 26

3 Likes

I read that as well @mrwalker.

I think the plan will be rotating the bench over the next few weeks to boost match fitness leading up to origin. With the number of Panthers being mentioned in the mix for origin we could be looking at having a fair few out over that period.

I think it’s a good strategy. Even with players like Cleary, Luai, Crichton, Burton, T’oo, Yeo, Martin, Capewell potentially out, we can still put together a formidable team.

Half time -

Panthers 24 - 0 Cronulla.

Can’t fault the performance so far.

The groundwork was certainly laid by Fish and Leota, they turned the sharks forwards into flake

And I finally got a hot dog for the first time this season.

Bit disappointed in the crowd considering it was a sell out

1 Like

Full Time:-

Panthers 48 - 0. Cronulla

Panthers were good, Cronulla were poor.

1 Like

I think the most impressive thing is just how complete we are as a side.

Our attack is now balanced right side and left. And we are finding tries up the middle as well.

We went back to our strength of starving a team of possession with in goal kicks.

Sharing the kicking for the last few weeks is working wonders with our last tackle options.

Leading 40-0 we muscled up in defense and kept the opposition in their 20 the entire set.

We have the best defense organising fullback in the league (yes in that element I am rating Edwards above Tedesco).

We have the best halfback, the best prop, and both our 2nd prop and 5/8 are up their too.

Are wingers are magic - different in style but similar in attitude and commitment.

Is Martin the best bench forward at the moment? Goes forward as a prop, then moves to the edge to create havoc.

Yeo is arguably the best lock too.

Then we have Kiks and Capewell, Burton and Crighton.

We have the right attitude, the right fitness, fantastic mix of skills and most of all a well balanced team.

I can’t see Momo taking Burtons spot except during origin when Burton covers for Cleary in the halves.

Kiks still a little out of sorts but you can’t fault his determination. The good thing is he draws defense for others to break the line.

Api too seems to be week or two from peak fitness.

It will be scary when they are all in form and 100%.

Not to mention the talent in reserve grade awaiting their shot.

1 Like

Does it get any softer than the crusher tackle penalty against them? Cronulla milking it for all it was worth.

1 Like