[2022] R23 Rabbitohs v Panthers - Game Day Thread

2022_R23_SOUPEN

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match South Sydney Rabbitohs v Penrith Panthers
:stadium: Venue Accor Stadium, Homebush NSW
:clock10: Time Thursday 18th August 2022 7:50pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via Ticketek
:rugby_football: Other Matches NSWCUP South Sydney Rabbitohs v Penrith Panthers 18/8 5:25pm
JFLEGG South Sydney Rabbitohs v Penrith Panthers 21/8 12:00pm1
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :cloud: Cloudy 17°C (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: 22% / :wind_face: Wind: N 14km/h)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel 9 (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

1. Jersey Flegg Cup fixture to be played at Ironmark High Performance Centre, Redfern NSW

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 26 Tries Stephen Crichton, Dylan Edwards, Spencer Leniu, Liam Martin.
Goals Stephen Crichton (5/6)
South Sydney Rabbitohs 22 Tries Alex Johnston (2), Cody Walker, Campbell Graham.
Goals Latrell Mitchell (3/5)

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 24 Tries Christian Crichton (2), Jack Cole, Isaiah Iongi.
Goals Kurt Falls (4/4)
South Sydney Rabbitohs 24 Tries Jake Tago, Maila Chan-Foon, Peter Mamouzelos, Dean Hawkins.
Goals Blake Taaffe (4/4)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Teams

Telstra Premiership Knock On Effect NSW Cup NSW Jersey Flegg
:rugby_football: Rabbitohs v Panthers :rugby_football: Rabbitohs v Panthers :rugby_football: Rabbitohs v Panthers
:clock3: Thursday 18/8 7:50pm :clock3: Thursday 13/8 5:25pm :clock3: Saturday 21/8 12:00pm
:stadium: Accor Stadium :stadium: Accor Stadium :stadium: Redfern Oval
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Isaiah Iongi 1. Liam Ison
20. Taylan May :small_red_triangle: 2. Christian Crichton 2. Cody Lawson
3. Izack Tago 3. Robert Jennings 3. Sam Lane
4. Stephen Crichton 4. Thomas Jenkins 4. William Fakatoumafi
5. Brian To’o 5. Daeon Amituanai 5. Addison Williams
6. Jaeman Salmon 6. Jack Cole 6. Ryley Smith
7. Sean O’Sullivan 7. Kurt Falls 7. Keagan Russell-Smith
8. Moses Leota 8. Eddie Blacker 8. Ilai Tuia
9. Apisai Koroisau 9. Soni Luke 9. Billy Scott
10. Matt Eisenhuth 10. Lindsay Smith 10. Hanna El-Nachar
11. Viliame Kikau 11. Preston Riki 11. Zac Lipowicz
12. Liam Martin 12. Chris Smith 12. Harry Hassett
13. Isaah Yeo © 13. J’Maine Hopgood 13. Hohepa Puru
RESERVES
14. Mitch Kenny 14. Mavrik Geyer 14. Sunita Lotoaniu
19. J’Maine Hopgood :small_red_triangle: 15. Liam Henry 15. John Sagaga
16. Spencer Leniu 16. Alec Susino 16. Jack Garrod
17. Charlie Staines 17. Joh Faiumu 17. Tyreece Tonga
INTERCHANGE
2. Sunia Turuva :small_orange_diamond: 18. Ativalu Lisati 19. Mason Teague
21. Chris Smith 20. Aston Warwick
15. Scott Sorensen :small_red_triangle_down:
18. Robert Jennings :small_red_triangle_down:
22. Kurt Falls :small_red_triangle_down:
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Peter Wallace HC Jono Rolfe
AC Andrew Webster AC Kevin Kingston
AC Cameron Ciraldo

:small_orange_diamond: Positional Change       :small_red_triangle: Moved into squad       :small_red_triangle_down: Moved out of Squad       Injury or Medical Related

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership K.O.E NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
Referee Adam Gee TBA TBA
Sideline Official David Munro TBA TBA
Darian Furner TBA TBA
Video Referee Ashley Klein - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2022 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Adam Gee 2011 (2/1) 100% (14/24) 58.33% 110.5 102.5 1.08

3 weeks left in the regular season and one win needed to lock away a minor premiership.

It will be interesting what approach Coach Cleary uses running into the finals with a few players that are overdue for a rest.

3 Likes

Can someone smarter than me explain why an out of form winger is named on the bench.

Updated Team List

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has updated his squad for Thursday night’s match against South Sydney Rabbitohs at Accor Stadium.

Fullback Dylan Edwards (sternum) and winger Taylan May (shoulder) return to the side after missing last week’s clash against the Storm, while Liam Martin (ankle) has been cleared of any injury concern.

However, Panthers interchange forward Scott Sorensen has been ruled out of the Round 23 clash with a minor calf complaint, with J’maine Hopgood taking his position.

Sunia Turuva will be the side’s 18th man, while Chris Smith remains in the 19-man squad.

I think Staines would be named to cover for Edwards and May who are returning from injury. If there is any concern they can be pulled from the field and have Staines step in. There is no need to risk players, they are in the box seat to finish in first on the ladder.

We are trying to offload him, the more “Air time” he gets, the better the opportunity to have someone see his potential worth to THEIR club.

Unfortunately, being hooked by the coach nullifies the argument :rofl:

Yes that’s the answer but Why not have Turuva or Tom Jenkins filling the bench spot…Stephen Crichton could slot into full back if need be. I think Staines is one of those players who is too good for NSW cup but not really up to NRL level…Robert Jennings falls into that category also. Anyways it’s not that important is it? We are in a great position with three games to go and all the missing players on schedule to return for the finals. Go the Panthers😁

Curious - I mentioned Falls a cpl weeks ago, still wonder why he’s not in the side? SOS + Falls went through Origin period successfully. This would look a lot more potent side, leaving Salmon on the bench to provide his value as a ball running utility and provide cover for the back line if required. Surely he’d be right to slot into centre (like Burton?) with Crichton to Fullback if there was a shuffle needed?

Keeping Falls in NSW Cup doesn’t bode well (to me) for contract renewal.

Falls I believe is still not 100% coming back from injury - but that said I do agree it would seem better to have him in our halves.

While I’m not confident, I am somewhat warming to the underdog status - reminds me of being a panther fan lol.

Edwards back will hopefully fix up our defence. I think the question for us though is where our points will come from.

On the upside, we will enter week one of the finals with a pretty fresh team.

Makes sense if he’s partly injured, figured being named and playing he was OK.

Api on the bench in an interesting twist

Yes, just saw that Kenny is starting

Crighton should be happy I am not coach, he would be benched for that defensive stuff up

The score us probably a good reflection at half time. We had all the fire early, before Souths worked their way back in.

The main concern I have is that they have made plenty of line breaks by going to our edges. If we don’t fix our edge defence we could find ourselves letting in a large score in the second half.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more dunno who Falls has upset…I thought he did well during SOO

I know I am a broken record but Crighton is costing us this game

Nail biter, but got the job done in the end. A good team effort.

3 Likes

I was wondering how theres constantly space outside our wing and why centres keep coming in. On one of the last trys there, SOS looked sluggish in defence and doesnt slide well. Kiks had to sprint around to make up for it and drew Tago in.

Api looks like our most potent attacking player

Some good signs though with the pack really stepping up at times and controlling the game.

Spencer played huge tonight which was great to see.

I bet N Cleary is kicking himself, he could have had a field day the last two games

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.