[2023] R10 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R10 New Zealand Warriors v Penrith Panthers|100%

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match New Zealand Warriors v Penrith Panthers
:stadium: Venue Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane NSW
:clock10: Time Saturday, 6th May 2023 3:00pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via Ticketek
:rugby_football: Other Matches NSWCUP Newtown Jets v Penrith Panthers 7/5 11:00am1
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_small_cloud: Mostly Sunny 23°C (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: <1% / :wind_face: Wind: NE 13km/h)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

1. NSW Cup to be played at HE Laybutt Field, Arndell Park NSW

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 18 Tries Dylan Edwards, Brian To’o, Spenser Leniu.
Goals Nathan Cleary (3/4)
New Zealand Warriors 6 Tries Addin Fonua-Blake.
Goals Shaun Johnson (1/1)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Team

Telstra Premiership Knock on Effect NSW Cup
:rugby_football: Warriors v Panthers :rugby_football: Jets v Panthers
:clock3: Saturday 6/5 3:00pm :clock3: Sunday 7/5 11:00am
:stadium: Suncorp Stadium :stadium: HE Laybutt Field
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Isaiah Iongi
2. Sunia Turuva 2. Tom Jenkins :small_red_triangle:
3. Tyrone Peachey 3. Matt Stimson
4. Stephen Crichton 4. Sam Lane :small_red_triangle:
5. Brian To’o 5. Deaon Amituanai
6. Jarome Luai 6. Kurt Falls :small_orange_diamond:
7. Nathan Cleary © 7. Jack Cogger :small_red_triangle:
8. Moses Leota 8. Ativalu Lisati :small_orange_diamond:
9. Mitch Kenny 9. Luke Sommerton
10. James Fisher-Harris 10. Liam Henry :small_red_triangle:
11. Scott Sorensen 11. Mavrik Geyer :small_orange_diamond:
12. Zac Hosking 12. Luke Garner :small_orange_diamond:
13. Isaah Yeo © 13. Chris Smith :small_red_triangle:
INTERCHANGE
14. Soni Luke 14. Trent Toelau :small_red_triangle:
15. Lindsay Smith 15. Eddie Blacker :small_orange_diamond:
17. Jaeman Salmon 16. John Faiumu :small_red_triangle:
21. Spencer Leniu :small_red_triangle: 17. Sunita Lotoaniu :small_red_triangle:
RESERVES
19. Luke Garner 18. Harrison Hassett :small_orange_diamond:
18. Jack Cogger :small_red_triangle_down: 4. Jesse Mclean :small_red_triangle_down:
20. Thomas Jenkins :small_red_triangle_down: 6. Jack Cole :small_red_triangle_down:
16. Liam Henry :small_red_triangle_down: 16. Sunita Lotoaniu :small_red_triangle_down:
22. Chris Smith :small_red_triangle_down: 18. John Sagaga :small_red_triangle_down:
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Ben Harden
AC Peter Wallace
AC Ben Garnier

:small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle_down: Promoted/Relegated | :small_orange_diamond: Positional Change

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership K.O.E NSW Cup
Referee Todd Smith Clayton Wills
Sideline Official Phil Henderson Jon Stone
Belinda Sharpe Mitchell Stone
Video Referee Chris Butler -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2023 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Todd Smith 2022 (1/1) 100% (2/4) 50% 25 35 0.71

:mega: Team Lists and Match Officials have been updated.

TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP TEAMLIST

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP TEAMLIST

This game is key to the rest of our season in my opinion.
oddly both sides are coming off 2 straight losses and having played their last game in terrible wet conditions.

It appears conditions in QLD will be for dry fast ground which will suit both teams and again we play a side with formidable knowledge of our systems with Webster as head coach and the Warriors have shown plenty of resilience in their season to date albeit they have also dropped off in the last 2 weeks.

I don’t like Peachy at centre but his inclusion will not be the reason for a loss if we do, it will come down to the team.

we are trotting out as close to a full squad as possible but would like to see Lenui on the reserves.

Cleary is not at 100% and others are down on what we have come to expect over previous years, just hope they are fresh mentally and focus on process and whilst a win would be great, a significant statement in how we win would be the ultimate.

Very tough game and could go either way…just too close to call IMHO

2 Likes

Half time & an improvement on last week. The main concern for me is the ease of the line breaks through the middle by the Warriors. Credit to our scrambling defence that we only conceded 1 try from their 3 breaks.

1 Like

Ordinary first half. Still struggling in attack, it feels very disjointed side to side.

I am thankful we got in the first half of games this weekend. That field is choppy as hell. I would hate to see how it looks for game 8. Players are already struggling with keeping their footing out there.

On the positive side. The defence is good and a 90%+ competition rate is much better from previous weeks.

2 Likes

Better than last week. Gee Dylan is stepping it up a gear.

Peachey is downright ordinary and would of cost us a try, had it not been for Dylan’s last gasp defence.

Looks like forward passes are not illegal in this game if your the warriors.

Since when is an accidental head clash a penalty?

4 Likes

Thank You… I thought I was going crazy.

3 Likes

Happy with the win & our defence. Our attack still needs a lot of work. We are dominating teams, but not getting the points on the board. It is especially worrying against a team that has 2 players binned & a few in game injuries.

1 Like

:mega: Panther Pride man of the Match voting is now open here.

what an ugly win, all i can say is thank god we have Lenui.
he made a difference the moment he came on and deserved his try but his efforts mask the problems we have.

i cannot believe how many times were had dumb options on last tackle, or no options and Hosking despite his energy has terrible defence lapses.
But we had a few others like Luai who deadset looks lost and Peach is not a first grader and him in the side highlights how little we have in lower grades and our left side looks s shadow on past seasons.

Maybe play Lenui in the Kikau role?

Not only the fact we were ugly and disjointed lets talk about the ref.

The Corsey tackle on Crichton was aa should to the head and he should have been sent off, Crichton to his great credit didn’t lay down like some of the warrior bums like DWZ and a few others maybe saved him.

Then we had Edwards in scoring a try hit on the chin and in the same play Hosking was tackled without the ball by Walker.

Then the fiasco of the same whiner Corsey getting hit in a tackle and his head hitting Crichton and they get a penalty

Let alone the forward passes which were touched on in an earlier post…it appeared the fix was in against us.

The takeaway…it was a win

Lenui needs more game time and we miss Martin.

I think we need to dump Peachy and play Salmon in the centres.

Not sure why we are so disjointed but it needs to be fixed and fixed quickly

Hope the boys enjoy the win and there are no injuries.

2 Likes

We were fortunate to get away with that one.

I feel the pieces are all there, but at places they don’t quite fit right. Our defence looks great, full credit to the Warriors, played some real tough offence, against a fair bunch of teams they could have really racked up a score.

We got the basics right for the most, but the polish from the last year has worn off. We find ourselves on in the opposition twenty metres playing ‘hot potato’ and making no ground. I’m not sure if it’s a confidence issue or it’s just down to trying to make tired gameplays stick, but fixing this should be of the upmost importance.

We are getting the basics right… and that can win you games… but it won’t win you the big ones. We rapidly approach the mid season in a month and I feel they have a long way to go, I secretly hope that getting some rep footy into some of them will spark a renaissance towards the backend of the season.

I’ll be first to admit… I am starting to get a bit worried about our ability to snatch a threepeat this year.

3 Likes

… and a note about the surface of Suncorp Stadium. One word to summarise it… awful.

It was a sunny day, with a dry track. The Warriors were hot and ready to play, as was Penrith. Yet the surface robbed us of any chance to see the ‘Champagne Football’ that Magic Round claimed we would see.

Just the mere change of angle would cause the ground to slip from under their feet. I would count the amount of times a player lost their footing in that game, but I would have lost count around the 100 mark. Just the simple task of running back picking up the ball on the ground and returning the ball to the defensive line would result in a comical slipping and tripping like they were on top of a floor of marbles covered in dish soap.

As I said before, I am happy we were Game 3 and not Game 8. I am projecting some serious foot and ankle injuries this week.

1 Like

I think the powerbrokers need to look at what is happening in the lead up to magic round. Playing an NRL game & a Super Rugby game the week before doesn’t give the ground enough time to repair properly before hosting 8 games in 3 days.

1 Like

I agree totally about the forward passes, SHF. I didn’t notice, but it seems that ‘flat pass’ has been redefined in league speak.

2 Likes

The ground was already well chewed up in the first game of the round. When I saw that, I couldn’t believe that they planned to play the rest of the round on the ground. The ground keeper needs to hang their head in shame.

Blatant forward pass for their try. But if it is against the Panthers, the refs are happy to ignore it.

2 Likes

I used to like watching Peachy when he played for Panthers the first time. But it looks like he has passed his use by date. I still don’t understand the swap.

2 Likes

Two points is two points, game gave me a little bit of confidence but long way to go.

Agree with a lot of comments here already:

I remember thinking in the first half, we missed Fish, then Leniu came on. At this rate he will be a big loss next year.

The warriors try and a few sets before saw them make big metres through the line, almost like someone was missing. Was this Hosking terribly out of position?

At best, Peach is the backup to Salmon.

Cleary and Yeo should be asking the ref to not bin anyone on the other side, seems to play worse then!

For all the talk of penref, there sure are some bad and missed calls against us.

Would love to see the new ball technology for forward passes. A pain point of the game that needs to be addressed.

3 Likes

Only watched the extended highlights (Attention span not up to a full replay) but Luai and Peachey are cuurently freeloaders.
Peachey is apparently no longer up to it but Luai surely is a different case. I remember a couple of seasons ago when Dylan Edwards was having a rough trot. A few weeks in reserve grade sorted that out; is that perhaps the answer to get Luai back to his best?

2 Likes