[2023] R12 Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R12 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers
:stadium: Venue Suncorp Stadium, Brisnbane NSW
:clock10: Time Thursday, 18th May 2023 7:50pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via Ticketek
:rugby_football: Other Matches NSWCUP Western Suburbs Magpies v Penrith Panthers 20/5 12:40pm1
JFLEGG Wests Tigers v Penrith Panthers 20/5 3:00pm1
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :full_moon: Clear 16°C (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: 3% / :wind_face: Wind: SW 5km/h)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel 9 (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

1. NSW Cup & Jersey Flegg to be played Saturday at Leichhardt Oval, Leichhardt NSW

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 15 Tries Sunia Turuva, Nathan Cleary.
Goals Nathan Cleary (2/2) FG Nathan Cleary (1)
Brisbane Broncos 4 Tries Selwyn Cobbo.
Goals Kotoni Staggs (0/1)

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup| Full Time

Penrith Panthers 40 Tries Luke Garner (2), Preston Riki, Daeon Amituanai, Tom Jenkins, Trent Toelau, Matt Stimson.
Goals Kurt Falls (5/6), Matt Stimson (1/1)
Wests Magpies 10 Tries Triston Reilly, Israel Ogden.
Goals Will Smith (1/2)

:rugby_football: Jersey Flegg Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 20 Tries Timothy Sielaff-Burns (2), Angelis Hotere-Papalii, Ryley Smith.
Goals Timothy Sielaff-Burns (2/4)
Wests Tigers 28 Tries Harrison Henson, Josh Feledy, Jay Kirk, Christopher Faagutu, Zane Camroux.
Goals Zane Camroux (4/5)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

MATCH STATS

MATCH GALLERY

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Team

Telstra Premiership Knock on Effect NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
:rugby_football: Broncos v Panthers :rugby_football: Magpies v Panthers :rugby_football: Tigers v Panthers
:clock3: Thursday 18/5 7:50pm :clock3: Saturday 12/5 12:40pm :clock3: Saturday 13/5 3:00pm
:stadium: Suncorp Stadium :stadium: Leichhardt Oval :stadium: Leichhardt Oval
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Isaiah Iongi 1. Liam Ison
2. Sunia Turuva 2. Tom Jenkins 2. Tim Sielaff-Burns
3. Tyrone Peachey 3. Matt Stimson 3. Angelis Hotere-Papalii
4. Stephen Crichton 4. Sam Lane 4. Luke Philp
5. Brian To’o 5. Daeon Amituanai 5. Cody Lawson
6. Jarome Luai 6. Kurt Falls 6. Kristian-Li Mai
7. Nathan Cleary © 14. Trent Toelau :small_orange_diamond: 7. Ryley Smith
8. Moses Leota 8. Liam Henry 8. Sunita Lotoianiu :small_red_triangle:
9. Mitch Kenny 9. Soni Luke :small_red_triangle: 9. Connor Mason
10. James Fisher-Harris 10. Eddie Blacker 10. John Sagaga
11. Scott Sorensen 11. Mavrik Geyer 11. Harrison Hassett
12. Zac Hosking 12. Luke Garner 12. Aston Warwick
13. Isaah Yeo © 13. Chris Smith 17. Zac Lipowicz :small_orange_diamond:
INTERCHANGE
14. Soni Luke 9. Luke Sommerton :small_orange_diamond: 13. Billy Scott :small_orange_diamond:
15. Lindsay Smith 15. Ativalu Lisati 15. Luron Patea
16. Liam Martin 16. Preston Riki 16. Billy Phillips
17. Jaeman Salmon 17. John Faiumu 8. Peter Taateo :small_orange_diamond:
RESERVE
19. Luke Garner 18. Harrison Hassett 14. Fletcher Haycock :small_red_triangle_down:
18. Jack Cogger :small_red_triangle_down: 7. Jack Cogger :small_red_triangle_down: 18. Luke Hanson :small_red_triangle_down:
20. Tom Jenkins :small_red_triangle_down: 19. Riley Wake :small_red_triangle_down:
21. Chris Smith :small_red_triangle_down: 20. Lleyton Finau :small_red_triangle_down:
22. Liam Henry :small_red_triangle_down: 21. Ilai Tuia :small_red_triangle_down:
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Ben Harden HC Jono Rolfe
AC Peter Wallace
AC Ben Garnier

:small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle_down: Promoted/Relegated | :small_orange_diamond: Positional Change | Out due to injury :injured:

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership K.O.E NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
Referee Adam Gee Cameron Paddy Benjamin Seppala
Sideline Official Wyatt Raymond Ben Teague Ben Teague
Chris Sutton Bradley Kiehne Bradley Kiehne
Video Referee Ashley Klein - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2023 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Adam Gee 2011 (1/1) 50% (16/27) 59.26% 129.5 117.5 1.10

I have a good feeling we are going out in another big one, having lost to them in round one.

Interesting selection headache with Martin back and Sorro having his best ever game. One of the two would have to go to go the bench, and funny enough I think it should be Martin, just for the energy he brings when he comes on.

1 Like

Drop hosking to the bench, though only when fitness is right.

Sorro the new Kiks, keeping Marto in the familiar right side.

2 Likes

We need to be mindful that the bench is not a demotion; these days, more than ever, rugby league is a 17 a-side game.

3 Likes

:mega: Team Lists and Match Officials have been updated.

TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP TEAMLIST

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP TEAMLIST

JERSEY FLEGG CUP TEAMLIST

I like the fact Liam Martin has been named on the bench, need to earn your spot back especially the way Zac & Sorro have gone about their work while Liam was injured.

In fact I LOVE IT

2 Likes

… unless it’s the catalyst for Martin having a dummy spit and signing with his second cousin (Barrett) at Parra.

I think having Marto on the bench has more to do with recovery management than “playing his way back into the starting squad”.

Traditionally hamstring injuries have a high propensity of reoccurring in the late stages of recovery. A good example we the injury Martin suffered his first game back.

I think for a few weeks at least they will do what they did against the Roosters, have him on the bench and when the opposition defence starts to cook off a bit, put him on get some match fitness into those hamstrings and then get him off after a stint and then rinse and repeat in the second half. It will give him the best opportunity to fully recover.

I think Sorensen has lock up that position outside Laui. They work together very well, and last week I saw glimpses of that form Luai had last year with Kikau. That left edge was lethal, and we are still waiting on the return of Tago (that’s not saying Peachey isn’t doing great, he was phenomenal last week). If I were to make a change to make way for Martin it would be to move Zac to the bench, and when you bring Zac on, move Martin to the forwards (with Kenny to the forwards for Luke) to add a bit of longevity to the forward pack dominance, of which is important to Penriths game plan.

5 Likes

This is what makes sense to me.

It’s also a positive whilst Spence is out. Marto made good impact the moment he came on. Hopefully I’m proven wrong, but I don’t see Hosking doing the same. Having Marto back into the starting side and Spence on the bench will be a big lift.

Edit: Still looking forward to Soni getting more game time; bring him on at the 30-minute mark and see out the game IMO

1 Like

Good quality first half from both teams. We are probably unlucky not to be another try ahead.

The field looks terrible. Probably should have given it another week off after magic round.

2 Likes

I am not sure that the first try wasn’t a double movement. But then the refs had a square up with the disallowed Sorensen try.

2 Likes

I think Turuva was ruled to have enough momentum to get to the line regardless.

2 Likes

I think if I was a broncos fan, I might be a bit pissed about that interpretation. I have seen a lot like that disallowed.

1 Like

That Sorensen no try was yet another example of the joke the bunker has become. I don’t care which team it is, but if a player dives on the ball and slides into the in goal that is a try. No slowing it down frame by frame to see if his left hand moved it into his right hand or other nitpicking ?$!#%!

Moe should feel unlucky to have Capewell knock the ball from his grasp, preventing his try. He was best on ground for the first 20 minutes.

We are playing well and should go on with this.

3 Likes

The good thing is keeping them camped in their own half for much of the game.

2 Likes

:mega: Panther Pride man of the Match voting is now open here.

Great TEAM result, our scramble was just as good as our structured defense, the sign of everyman for every occasion.

3 Likes

We are strangling teams with our aggressive, committed defense, much like the last 3 seasons.
There were times when the broncs were just out of gas, and they resorted to some trick plays to try to overcome our defence.
The ref thinks we were tackling too hard :slight_smile:

The difference just now is that we are just missing scoring tries that we would have mostly found a way to score in 20-22. We are creating chances, just as many I would say, but combination of execution slightly off, bad luck (even goal posts) & match officials is just stopping us blowing them opposition away. When we get that right, there should be no stopping us.

1 Like