[2023] R20 Dolphins v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R20 The Dolphins v Penrith Panthers|100%

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match The Dolphins v Penrith Panthers
:stadium: Venue Kayo Stadium, Redcliffe QLD
:clock10: Time Sunday 16th July 2023 4:05pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via Ticketek
:rugby_football: Other Matches NSWCUP St George Illawarra Dragons v Penrith Panthers 15/7 1:00pm1
JFLEGG St George Illawarra Dragons v Penrith Panthers 15/7 11:15am1
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :cloud: TBA (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: #% / :wind_face: Wind: N #km/h)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel 9 (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

1. NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg Cup fixtures to be played Saturday at Collegians Sporting Complex, Wollongong NSW

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 24 Tries Izack Tago (2), Tom Jenkins (2), Moses Leota.
Goals Jack Cogger (0/3), Dylan Edwards (2/2)
Dolphins 14 Tries Kodi Nikorima, Connelly Lemuelu, Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow.
Goals Jamayne Isaako (1/3)

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 16 Tries CDaeon Amituanai, Matt Stimson, Liam Henry.
Goals Kurt Falls (2/3)
St Goerge Illawarra Dragons 36 Tries Sione Finau (2), Treigh Stewart (2), Benjamin Johnson, Zane Musgrove.
Goals Alexander Lobb (6/6)

:rugby_football: Jersey Flegg Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 20 Tries Samuel Lane, Liam Ison, Luke Hanson, Bayden Moran.
Goals Joseph Nohra (2/4)
St Goerge Illawarra Dragons 26 Tries Cooper Roberts (3), Harry Rudd, Nicholas Quinn.
Goals Ashton Ward (3/5)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Team

Telstra Premiership Knock on Effect NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
:rugby_football: Dolphins v Panthers :rugby_football: Dragons v Panthers :rugby_football: Dragons v Panthers
:clock3: Sunday 16/6 4:05pm :clock3: Saturday 15/7 1:00pm :clock3: Saturday 15/7 11:15am
:stadium: Kayo Stadium :stadium: Collegians Sporting Complex :stadium: Collegians Sporting Complex
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards © 1. Isaiah Iongi 1. Liam Ison
2. Sunia Turuva 2. Tom Jenkins 2. Luke Philp
3. Izack Tago 3. Tyrone Peachey 3. Francis Manuleleua
21. Tyrone Peachey :small_red_triangle: 4. Jesse Mclean 4. Sam Lane
22. Tom Jenkins :small_red_triangle: 5. Daeon Amituanai 5. Cody Lawson
6. Jarome Luai 6. Trent Toelau 6. Blake Moore
7. Jack Cogger 7. Kurt Falls 7. Joseph Nohra
8. Moses Leota 8. Eddie Blacker 8. Sunita Lotoaniu
9. Mitch Kenny 9. Luke Sommerton 9. Connor Mason
10. James Fisher-Harris © 10. Liam Henry 10. John Sagaga
11. Scott Sorensen 11. Luke Garner 11. Peter Taateo
18. Zac Hosking :small_red_triangle: 12. Zac Hosking 12. Riley Wake
19. Matt Eisenhuth :small_red_triangle: 13. Matt Eisenhuth 13. Zac Lipowicz
INTERCHANGE
14. Soni Luke 14. Matt Stimson 14. Ryley Smith
15. Lindsay Smith 15. Ativalu Lisati 15. Adam Runchel
16. Spencer Leniu 16. Chris Smith 16. Billy Phillips
17. Jaeman Salmon 17. Mavrik Geyer 17. Tyreece Tonga
RESERVES
20. Luke Garner 19. John Faiumu 18. Luke Hanson
24. Nathan Cleary 20. David Fale 19. Bayden Moran
4. Stephen Crichton :small_blue_diamond: 20. Fletcher Haycock
5. Brian To’o :small_blue_diamond: 21. Jack Garrod
12. Liam Martin :small_blue_diamond:
13. Isaah Yeo :small_blue_diamond:
23. Jesse Mclean :small_red_triangle_down:
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Ben Harden HC Jono Rolfe
AC Peter Wallace
AC Ben Garnier

:small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle_down: Promoted/Relegated | :small_orange_diamond: Positional Change | :injured: Out due to injury | :small_blue_diamond: Rested due to Origin

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership K.O.E NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
Referee Todd Smith Damian Brady Brandon Mani
Sideline Official Wyatt Raymond Mitchell Stone Mitchell Stone
Chris Sutton Liam Nicholls Liam Nicholls
Video Referee Adam Gee - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2023 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Todd Smith 2022 (2/0) 100% (3/5) 60.00% 30 38 0.79

:mega: Team Lists and Match Officials have been updated.

TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP TEAMLIST

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP TEAMLIST

JERSEY FLEGG CUP TEAMLIST

I d rest our SOO players once more, and unless Cleary is 100% wouldn’t risk him despite how much he must want to get on the field.

That said we can’t underestimate the fins, they have toppled plenty of teams at home this year.

But last game against the Storm showed we know how to win with the players we have on the field.

1 Like

Agreed. I’d rather rest the players who played in SOO & Cleary to have them fresher for the finals. We can probably afford to drop a game or two between here & the final, and still finish top 2.

Our replacements have shown they are up for the contest anyway, and are a good chance of getting the job done.

1 Like

There were a lot of changes to the NSW Cup squad today. It a pretty strong indicator that Ivan will most likely rest the origin players.

Thomas Jenkins, Tyrone Peachey, Luke Garner, Zac Hosking and Matt Eisenhuth all scrapped from the NSW Cup squad today. I would expect them to be named in thr NRL side late changes tomorrow.

1 Like

Yes, my thoughts too. Looks as if IC will stick with his plan for the long game. Happy to back him on that.

2 Likes

Not sure how the bye will affect us.

whilst it helps any little bumps and bruises, it sort of impacts momentum although this one is particularly timely as it would have given IC a chance to get into the heads of the players with a giant reset.

With 6 rounds left after todays game, IC could have set individual and team goals over the coming 6 weeks with a push towards the finals.

I would like him to run the team out as per the advertised list with a view to rest the SOO players if the game is flowing our way which i expect it to do although Dolphins will want desperately to record a win against the Premiers as a mark of their years success.

Today and in the 6 weeks following will be about process and execution.

That is what i am keen to see today if the mindset has shifted from the entire group…the leadup to the finals gives all at the club the opportunity to really focus on the end game and that is retaining the Premiership.

7 weeks is just about the perfect frame to do this and perhaps even begin to try some of the set plays they have been trying at training.

Hope Nathan is rested for a further week, no need to risk our key playmaker as we will want him at 100% for the finals.

2 Likes

Well our SOO players are out, and while the media expect Nathan to play, I’m sure his dad won’t risk him unless 110%.

We still can’t be complacent though, the fins will be desperate for a win, both for ladder position and prestige.

Won’t be the end of the season for us if we loose, but hope we give it to them like we gave it to Melbourne.

2 Likes

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 16 Tries CDaeon Amituanai, Matt Stimson, Liam Henry.
Goals Kurt Falls (2/3)
St Goerge Illawarra Dragons 36 Tries Sione Finau (2), Treigh Stewart (2), Benjamin Johnson, Zane Musgrove.
Goals Alexander Lobb (6/6)

:rugby_football: Jersey Flegg Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 20 Tries Samuel Lane, Liam Ison, Luke Hanson, Bayden Moran.
Goals Joseph Nohra (2/4)
St Goerge Illawarra Dragons 26 Tries Cooper Roberts (3), Harry Rudd, Nicholas Quinn.
Goals Ashton Ward (3/5)

Late Mail

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has updated his squad to face the Dolphins on Sunday afternoon.

The four State of Origin representatives - Brian To’o, Stephen Crichton, Liam Martin and Isaah Yeo - will be rested from the match, while Nathan Cleary remains on the extended bench.

The Panthers will wear the 2023 home kit for Sunday’s clash.

Cleary is being rested. Probably a good thing.

1 Like

Cogger is having a shocker and highlights our concerns for nest year for a second string kicker

But that is next year…Cogger is seriously not a first grader but he has a mate in Jenkins

Lenui must be still in SOO mode…we need more from him.

Just on Lenui, isn’t a shoulder charge to the head a sin bin or send off???

We have let them back in this,Cleary needs to settle our mob and get back to basics.

2 Likes

It wasn’t pretty, but we got the points.

Leota’s try would have to be in the running for the most comical of the year.

2 Likes

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

i agree to a point about Leotas try

i would rather say he got the try through effort and notice he didn’t have many in support?

thankfully IC brought Leota and JFH back on to stem the push from them

And who thought and or knew Edwards could even kick???

It was a win and despite them heading us for a time we were always in control.

All of this being said i am a little worried about Luai…this was a game for him to control yet he was just ok.

Call it a bye let down

Nice to get the win and hope all the key boys are ok.

2 Likes

I am pretty well informed about environmental & conservation matters, but during the first half of today’s game I was surprised to see that the classification of dolphins as a protected species had been extended to the NRL.

3 Likes

We certainly lost the rub of the green in that game, not one 50/50 went towards us (well on field anyway, the bunker seemed to most calls correct).

So glad Edwards had the guts to make a captains call with the goal kicking. 2/2 from the sideline makes him 2nd only to Cleary, and a question on where he stands next to Critta.

Thankfully Edwards, Tago and Leota straightened us up. I thought Jenkins had his best game in first grade, and shows the more he plays in firsts the better he will be.

When players are dropped due to form, one of two things happen - they work harder and rise to the top, or they seem to regress and seem not interested. For two older contrasts, compare the career trajectory at Penrith of Edwards and Moylen after they have been dropped.

Unfortunately after being dropped by NSW, Jerome seems to not following Edwards example. He simply looked disinterested most of the time. Hopefully he snaps out of it once Cleary comes back.

It was a game that was ours to loose. Thankfully we grabbed the win. We hold first spot on the ladder, and not only have a good shot at top 4, should be able to make a play for a home final and the minor premiership again.

Add to that that the likes of Hosking, Jenkins, Eisenhuth can be depended upon if required and we seem in real good stead.

1 Like

Dylan spent a fair bit of time doing goalkicking practice at the open training session on Tuesday. Another case of making preparations I guess :grin:

3 Likes