[2023] R27 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread

R27 Panthers v Cowboys

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v North Queensland Cowboys
:stadium: Venue Bluebet Stadium, Penrith NSW
:clock10: Time Saturday 2nd September 2023 5:30pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via Ticketek
:rugby_football: Other Matches JFLEGG EF Penrith Panthers v Parramatta Eels 2/9 11:00am1
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_large_cloud: Partly Cloudy 15°C (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: 3% / :wind_face: Wind: E 6km/h)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

(1) Jersey Flegg Elimination Final to be played at North Sydney Oval

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 44 Tries Brian To’o (2), Sunia Turuva (2), Stephen Crichton, Liam Martin, Luke Sommerton, Nathan Cleary.
Goals Nathan Cleary (6/8
North Queensland Cowboys 12 Tries Griffin Neame, Zac Laybutt.
Goals Scott Drinkwater (2/2)

:rugby_football: Jersey Flegg Cup Elimination Final | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 20 Tries Samuel Lane, Peter Taateo, Harrison Hassett, Riley Wake.
Goals Timothy Sielaff-Burns (2/4)
Parramatta Eels 30 Tries Ethan Sanders, Sam Tuivaiti, Blaize Talagi, Brock Parker, Matthew Komolafe.
Goals Ethan Sanders (5/5)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Teams

Telstra Premiership Jersey Flegg Cup EF1
:rugby_football: Panthers v Cowboys :rugby_football: Panthers v Eels
:clock3: Saturday 2/9 5:30pm :clock3: Saturday 2/9 11:00am
:stadium: Bluebet Stadium :stadium: North Sydney Oval
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Liam Ison
2. Sunia Turuva 2. Tim Sielaff-Burns
19. Izack Tago :small_red_triangle: 3. Angelis Hotere-Papalii
4. Stephen Crichton 4. Sam Lane
5. Brian To’o 5. Casey Mclean
6. Jack Cogger 6. Luke Hanson
7. Nathan Cleary © 7. Joseph Nohra
8. Moses Leota 8. Sunita Lotoaniu
9. Luke Sommerton 9. Billy Scott
10. James Fisher-Harris 10. Zac Lipowicz
17. Zac Hosking :small_blue_diamond: 11. Peter Taateo
12. Liam Martin 12. Harrison Hassett
13. Isaah Yeo © 13. Billy Phillips
INTERCHANGE
3. Tyrone Peachey :small_blue_diamond: 14. Ryley Smith
15. Lindsay Smith 15. Adam Runchel
16. Spencer Leniu 16. Riley Wake
21. Luke Garner :small_red_triangle: 17. Aston Warwick
RESERVES
18. Jaeman Salmon 18. Ilai Tuia
22. Matt Eisenhuth 19. Wilson De Courcey
11. Scott Sorensen :small_red_triangle_down: 20. Jack Garrod
14. Soni Luke :small_red_triangle_down: 21. Po Papalii
20. Tom Jenkins :small_red_triangle_down:
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Jono Rolfe
AC Peter Wallace
AC Ben Garnier

:small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle_down: Promoted/Relegated | :small_orange_diamond: Positional Change | :injured: Out due to injury | :small_blue_diamond: Rested due to Origin

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership Jersey Flegg Cup
Referee Todd Smith TBA
Sideline Official Peter Gough TBA
Jon Stone TBA
Video Referee Chris Butler -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2023 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Todd Smith 2022 (3/3) 100% (4/6) 66.67% 36 41 0.88

Interesting in the blurb with the team announcement says the Mitch Kenny returns, yet not listed in the team Match Preview: Panthers v Cowboys | Official website of the Penrith Panthers

Must of been a late decision not to list him.

Great to get Edwards, Sorro and Tago back, although we will possibly rest Edwards if the Broncos beat Melbourne.

:mega: Team lists and match officials have been announced.

TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP ROUND 27

JERSEY FLEGG CUP ELIMINATION FINAL

These previews are written by the NRL Media, could be a misprint. Alternatively they may be waiting on Thursday’s result before announcing the change.

Saw Kenny in the stands last week, looks eager to get back out onto the field.

Looks like a full strength team named, sans Luai, Kenny and Tago…

Luai is a known, but the worry on Tago and Kenny isn’t eased.

I wonder how different the side looks when running out?

Happy for Cleary and Edwards to sit it out.

Edit: missed Tago in reserves. Hope that is a true sign he’s ready.

1 Like

Well… The Storm have blown the Minor Premiership window wide open.

3 Likes

So, around 5:30 this afternoon we will know what value Ivan puts on the Giltinan Shield plus $200,000.

3 Likes

I have mixed feelings about this one.

I wouldn’t be upset if he rested Cleary, Cogger, Edwards, Yeo and a 2nd row/prop to help ensure they are all fit and firing for Rd1 of finals.

I also wouldn’t be upset if he played a full-strength team (bar injury) to get some gametime into the combinations, especially Cogger / Cleary.

If we were going for combinations though, I think I’d prefer to see Salmon at #9 if we continue to use Soni as #14. I thought Sommerton had some real good touches and showed potential in his first game, but has some areas to work on, particularly in defence. Might be fine in round 10, but not the finals.

2 Likes

It’s an interesting set of circumstances. By the time we take the field we will know the result of the Warriors game, and what will happen to us in every eventuality. Ivan will possibly even have time to adjust the team list if the Warriors game is a blowout in either direction.

The question becomes do we want to go all in for the minor premiership, or do we want to play a certain opponent next week.

The equation is fairly simple. If us & Warriors both win or lose this week, we play the Storm. If one of us wins & the other loses, we play each other.

Personally I think we are going to have to beat Broncos, Storm & Warriors to take out the premiership. That being said, I’d rather Melbourne at home next week over the Warriors.

1 Like

I agree with rather face the storm than the warriors. With the form Johnson has been in, I think they are up there with the team that could trouble us the most, not neglecting the form of Reynolds and the Broncos.

Storm haven’t troubled us so far this year

1 Like

whoever we play is immaterial really in Game 1 of the finals.

we simply have to win Game 1 to get the week off which gives Luai another week and gives the boys a chance to have a much needed rest.

trying or hoping to figure out who we play is full of danger and risk to the players thought process.

players have to focus on winning one game at a time and not focus on who we may or may not play

we simply need to sharpen our focus as a team and get back to our processes, because what i have seen in recent weeks from the squad has not been too encouraging.

I want to see the real Panthers stand up this week and follow it up by a higher effort in Game 1.

Lastly i have real concerns about Kenny and why he is not playing…i honestly believe we can cover for Luai but we don’t have anyone who can cover for Kenny in these big games coming.

Hope i am wrong and he is all OK…we need him badly

3 Likes

Updated NRL Teamlist: Round 27

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has updated his squad to face North Queensland at BlueBet Stadium.

Izack Tago returns to the side at centre with Tyrone Peachey shifting to the interchange, while Scott Sorensen will miss another week.

The Panthers will wear the 2023 home kit for the Round 27 clash.

Lack of updates on Sorro and Kenny are worrying. Might just be to keep it under wraps, but this game doesn’t even have Soni in. I can only assume we are using Peach as #9 cover.

Playing a full strength team (exc injuries) suggests to me it’s building combinations for the finals and worrying that it’s Sommerton at 9.

Confused about Salmon. Seems like he’s been dropped ever since signing elsewhere, with Peach taking preference as utility.

I hope I’ve misread the situation.

Positively, Tago is back and I hope he is fully fit, or at least not risking reinjury. That should strengthen the back line immensely.

1 Like

surprising to see Luke completely gone from even the bench.
not that i am disappointed in that as my views on him are known.

On Salmon doubt Cleary has moved him on so to speak as it has been shown with Lenui and Crichton, he will still use an exiting player although to be fair he is a utility player although i personally would have considered him for the 6 role while Luai recovers, Coggers defence really is a concern

anyways, all in front of the boys now.

Let the fun begin!

This was the response I was hoping to see after last week. If we score next & early, I have the feeling the Cowboys will fall in a heap, and we could get a cricket score.

Lots of tackle practice in this game.

1 Like

If that’s our weakest team from here to GF. Enjoy the three-peat.

2 Likes

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

Jack Cogger looked impressive tonight. Despite the concerns of many that his style would clash with that of Nathan Cleary his gameplay tonight complimented it nicely.

He even managed to get 3 try assists tonight.

I feel much more confident with him going in at #6 next week after seeing his performance tonight.

3 Likes