2024 Panthers Contract Thread

Izack Tago ⮕ Extends to 2028

4 Likes

2 premierships under his belt, and still only 21 years old. It’s easier to forget how young Tago is and how much more performance he had in him.

That’s 1 out the 4 signed up. I have a feeling we could loose May though ……

2 Likes

I heard we’ve extended Paul Alamoti’s contract for another year, to the end of 2025. Does anyone know anything about that?

If true, it gives us cover for Taylan May if he walks. It also says that Alamoti has impressed the club enough to give him an extension, even if he’s not playing 1st grade.

Looking forward to seeing him play if/when he gets his opportunity in firsts.

1 Like

Paul Alamoti ⮕ Extends to 2025

I think retaining Taylan May might come down to if we can offer Terrell May a contract at Penrith or not.

and extend an olive branch to Tyrone???

If we can get away with just Terrell, it’s probably best to stop there.

Yes of course I don’t see that Tyrone would be on our list. He and us have moved on from 2020.
I was just referencing Tiny’s initial reaction to the ‘sacking’ of his brother at the time, & a comment he once made about all 3 brothers winning a comp together - my comment was more tongue in cheek than serious.

2 Likes

If you are wondering why I made my comment about Tiny, it was due to two things;

1. his management agency
  2. the club coming out and saying that they expect positive negotiations- kind of like an under threat PM saying he has full confidence from the cabinet, or a club chief saying they have full confidence in the coach :rofl:
1 Like

I think this is the biggest hurdle. Black Money has a reputation to value maximising the amount a money a contract is worth than any other factor.

Penrith have the strategy (and privilege) to stick to a price point and not flex. Talent is always coming through the pipeline, and there is a line of player waiting for a shot at a centre position.

I would put the chances of retaining May at about 50/50. May klnow how much the club has invested in him over the years, it comes down to what is important to him.

TO be honest, I think we should but the May deal on the backburner and focus onlocking up Kenny and Turuva.

4 Likes

Thanks, Steve. Much appreciated info.

Thanks also SHF & Mr Walker for your insight. I hadn’t even thought about Taylan May’s Agent as part of the equation but, of course, they are a key part of it.

Agree completely about prioritising Kenny & Turuva. I’d hate to lose those two. Good player though he is, I think we could afford to lose May, especially as there’s a good back-up in the wings.

Also, I must be getting old, but I don’t have much patience with this “I want to play with my brothers” stuff. I know you’re all (very) young men, but you’re professionals. How about you start acting like professionals?

2 Likes

Taylan May ⮕ Extends to 2026

1 Like

I think this mostly came from Terrell when he was asked about his contract negotiations at the Roosters. He said he said he would be open to a club who would take on all 3 brothers, I don’t recall the same thing being said by Taylan (or Tyrone for that matter).

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I’ve read a couple of articles where Taylan May expressed the same sentiment, but he may have just been echoing what Terrell May said. Anyway, it’s a moot point now, he’s signed on for another 3 years.

This is a rather major story which says a lot about May and even more about the Panthers.

I am delighted May has agreed to terms and praise him for staying against what i am sure were larger offers.

Of course i am not inside his mind but perhaps he sees the potential of premiership rings and to grow his skill and improve his craft where in 2 or 3 years his value could be markedly higher. Let alone a small thing called loyalty which i hoped framed his thinking.

For the Panthers it is repayment of loyalty where they stood by this kid when he was out injured for a year, invested time and money into developing his clear talent despite all of the outside noise.

Importantly it sends a message to all, our kids want to stay with the club.

I am impressed by what May has done and wish him the greatest of all success both in his sporting pursuit but for him personally.

Hooray to him for being loyal to his club, his community and the Panther supporters.

3 Likes

Mitch Kenny ⮕ Extends to 2027

4 Likes

Great news! Now for Sunia Turuva.

1 Like

Preston Riki ⮕ Extends to 2025 (NRL Squad Promotion)

2 Likes

JFH had been released from the end of the season on compassionate grounds. Had announced a 4 year deal with the Warriors.

James Fisher-Harris ⮕ New Zealand Warriors (2025)