[2024] R24 Panthers v Storm - Game Day Thread

R24 Panthers v Storm

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v Melbourne Storm
:stadium: Venue BlueBet Stadium, Penrith NSW
:clock10: Time Thursday, August 15 7:50pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via Ticketek
:rugby_football: Other Matches NSWCUP North Sydney Bears v Penrith Panthers 18/8 3:00pm1
JFLEGG Penrith Panthers v Melbourne Storm 15/8 5:30pm
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_rain_cloud: Possible Rain 14°C (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: 30% / :wind_face: Wind: SE 5km/h)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel 9 (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

1. Knock ON Effect NSW Cup match to be played at North Sydney Oval, North Sydney NSW.

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 22 Tries
Goals
Lindsay Smith, Izack Tago, Dylan Edwards, Casey McLean.
Nathan Cleary (3/5)
Melbourne Storm 24 Tries

Goals
Eliesa Katoa (2), Grant Anderson, Tyran Wishart
Nick Meaney (4/5)

:rugby_football: Jersey Flegg Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 22 Tries
Goals
Aston Warwick (2), Jaxen Edgar, Jett Cleary.
Jett Cleary (3/4)
Melbourne Storm 16 Tries
Goals
Matthew Hill (2), Jak Goulding.
Kynan Toomey (2/3)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Team

Telstra Premiership Knock on Effect NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
:rugby_football: Panthers v Storm :rugby_football: Bears v Panthers :rugby_football: Panthers v Storm
:clock3: Thursday 15/8 7:50pm :clock3: Sunday 18/8 3:00pm :clock3: Thursday 15/8 5:20pm
:stadium: Bluebet Stadium :stadium: North Sydney Oval :stadium: Bluebet Stadium
TEAM
1. Daine Laurie 1. Isaiah Iongi 1. Jaxen Edgar
2. Sunia Turuva 2. Asu Kepaoa 2. Jirah Liddiard
3. Izack Tago 3. David Fale 3. Angelis Hotere-Papalii
4. Casey Mclean 4. Sam Lane 4. Lachlan Blackburn
5. Brian To’o 5. Daeon Amituanai 5. Nick Murphy
6. Jarome Luai 6. Tyrone Peachey © 6. Jett Cleary
7. Nathan Cleary © 7. Brad Schnieder 7. Blake Moore
8. Moses Leota 8. Jordan Grant 8. Siotame Hansen
9. Mitch Kenny 9. Luke Sommerton 9. Zack Lamont
10. Lindsay Smith 10. Austin Dias 10. Hokafonu Lemoto
11. Mavrik Geyer 11. Harrison Hassett 11. Aston Warwick ©
12. Liam Henry 12. Zac Lipowicz 12. Judah Galuvao
13. Isaah Yeo © 13. Niko Apelu 13. Billy Scott
INTERCHANGE
14. Trent Toelau 14.Soni Luke 14. Jenson Tuaoi
15. Matt Eisenhuth 15. Jakeb Vailalo 16. Billy Phillips
16. Luron Patea 16. Falefa Letoi 17. Bayden Moran
17. Jack Cole 17. Riley Wake 18. Jack Attard
RESERVES
18. Brad Schneider 19. Josh Ruxton
19. James Fisher-Harris 20. Luke Philp
20. Dylan Edwards 21. Ahmani Leilua
21. Austin Dias 22. Tim Carson
22. Luke Sommerton
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Ben Harden HC Jono Rolfe
AC Peter Wallace
AC Ben Garnier

:small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle_down: Promoted/Relegated | :small_orange_diamond: Positional Change

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership K.O.E NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
Referee Ashley Klein TBA TBA
Sideline Official Dave Munro TBA TBA
Liam Kennedy TBA TBA
Video Referee Gerard Sutton - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2024 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Ashley Klein 2009 (1/1) 100% (21/47) 44.68% 196.5 196.5 1.00

:mega: Team Lists and Match Officials have been updated.

TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP

JERSEY FLEGG CUP

I just realised I possibly haven’t paid that much attention to the reserve list in the past, but at first glance I’m stumped as to what the final team will look like.

We have 2 halves / utilities on the bench and then a fullback, halfback and hooker in reserves. Is it my lack of previous attention or have we got a higher number of halves/utilities than usual?

Side looks light on the boppers. Must be fairly confident of zero injuries to the bigger boys and JFH has to be pretty close, either that or Austin Dias comes in and Jack Cole drop out?

If Edwards comes in, Laurie drops and Turuva out, keeping Toelau on the bench; or Laurie drops to bench and Toelau out?

We then still have Sommerton and Schneider in the reserve list.

Or do we have unknown injury concerns in our halves?

1 Like

Agree light weight bench. Replace Cole with Austin Dias on the bench if JFH not good to go.

1 Like

I am in two minds on whether to rush Dylan and Fish back. It might be better to rest them for another week or two and just see how the storm game goes. It depends how important we see the minor premiership. Would be good to have them fresh for the finals.

I think Edwards could use another week off. Laurie has the fullback spot covered, but as said by @Gogatee we are light in the forwards. If Fish deels like he is good to go, then I say give him a run, he rarely disappoints.

3 Likes

I’m with Steve, give Dyl another week just to be sure, if Fish is fit enough, get some metres back in the legs.

1 Like

Channel 9’s Zac Bailey has reported that Ivan has confirmed Edwards and Fisher- Harris will play tomorrow.

2 Likes

I’m sure the medical staff would be risk assessing and you’d think not risking this late in the season. Esp Edwards.

Personally, don’t mind if Edwards is wrapped up in cotton wool until 2000% ready

Updated NRL Teamlist: Round 24

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has updated his squad for Thursday’s match against Melbourne Storm at BlueBet Stadium.

The head coach confirmed that Dylan Edwards (knee) and James Fisher-Harris (groin) will return against the Storm.

The Panthers will wear the 2024 Alternate (Pasifika) Jersey.

Will be interesting to see how the final team run out.

Edwards to fullback and Cole 18th man are certainties.

Does Fish start from the bench? And who out of Laurie and Trent misses out?

I think Trent is a must, as he can cover hooker, Kenny can cover lock, Yeo or Smith can play edge, and Mav can play centre. Turuva can cover fullback if needed.

Laurie while he can cover backs, is not a great perfomer at hooker.

Time will tell

Personally I’d keep Trent #14 and be a decision between Turuva and Laurie, leaning towards dropping Turuva.

Head says Iv will probably drop Casey.

Hope Toelau stays in the 17, I’ve been impressed with him.

Also, he was with the Storm for a time & couldn’t get a crack, so I’m sure he’d love to get one over his old club.

Interesting bench choice with Patea dropping out and Cole in.

Looking fwd to watching the game!

1 Like

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

Frustrating game to watch. It seemed Melbourne got the run of the green on every call. I have serious question marks over all of their first half tries. I also have a question mark of the tackle that injured Cleary, it appeared not happen in a second effort by King. Will try to rewatch the game over the weekend.

I thought it was interesting having Toelau & Cole on the bench. I think we would have been better served with another forward on the bench.

I said to a mate the other day that I thought we needed a loss to sharpen ourselves before the finals. Hopefully this will be all we need, and we can win 6 straight to claim the premiership.

1 Like

Agree with Mutley that it was a frustrating game to watch. It was clear that the $torm were out to show their credentials, and that the match officials were going to assist them as best as they can.
A few errors from us and spoiling tactics from our opponents gave them more field position than we would have hoped for & they got ahead.
We probably did enough to snatch a win, albeit a grinding one, but poor defense close to our line got them square & then the ref found a soft penalty to decide the game.
I thought that Lindsay Smith was outstanding playing on the right edge & young Casey is just getting better each week. Yeo, Luai & DE did all they could.
Maybe the loss has taken the target off our back a little.
Kudos to the fans who turned up - Thursday games are not the easiest for supporters to get to.
Good on you Royce - you are a champ!!!
Looking forward to getting back to full strength for the finals. We can still do this, but it would be an easier task sans-Klein :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Discipline killed us.

Edwards looks half baked and visibly nursing an injury, not his fluid best. Wrap him up in wool until he’s 100%, cannot afford to lose him.

Cleary a worry. I expect he will return for the first or second week of finals with a backup half on the bench. Think Luai + Cogger in last yrs final.

Going to be a hard road and need everyone on deck.

1 Like