⚠ COVID-19 NRL Announcement

It saddens me that the NRL have such a top heavy financial structure.

Especially after I hear that Penrith may have to abandon its junior development and junior competitions, where it cost millions to operate these operations and the NSWRL only kicks in around $350,000.

The Panthers are a great contributor to Rugby League. For the NRL/NSWRL to leave such a valuable resource adding to the size of their player stocks, it a MASSIVE disservice to Rugby League as a whole.

1 Like

I don’t see any reason to differentiate for the not-for-profits in this regard

I’ve not worked in a ‘not for profit’ organisation so cannot comment, but I will take your word for it mrwalker.

Power is Power at the end of the day, and most individuals will “take what they can” whilst they can.

… you want power, work for yourself, where the only stuff ups are your own!

UPDATE 8 APRIL

• The NRL has scrapped plans to remove competition points in a ‘competition reset’ strategy, opting to leave the competition points as they are.

• Penrith is being considered as one of two ‘bubbles’ in a bid to fasttrack the resumption NRL competition. 8 teams would be housed at Panthers Mercure Hotel and use the Panthers training facilities with game to be played at Panthers Stadium. The other site is likely to be located around Olympic Park in Homebush. It is speculated that if this plan is to go ahead the NRL could resume as early as May 28.

2 Likes

This so-called bubble plan needs to be burst asap. Cameron Smith is talking sense when he questions the effects on the players. I also question the effects on the players’ family, friends etc.

I want football to start up again but not at this price.

UPDATE 9 APRIL

• The ARL Commission has announced the NRL is planning to restart the competition on May 28 after its innovations committee and the ARL Commission each met on Thursday.

• No details on the competition structure was given as the landscape is changing around government boundaries which will feed into the complexity structure.

James Graham said the players knew nothing about it when the statement was released, apparently a leaked e-mail from Mick Fuller to Vlandy’s with that date.

Is May 28th really a chance?

Channel 9 and Fox Sports are already promoting that date and the RLPA and State Governments have signed off on it, so I say it’s a good chance.

O’h great ! - My drunken stupor over the weekend suggests I need to catch up on what is going on.

You know you’ve had a big drink when you are hungover from the 3rd day on the drink……. :nauseated_face:

Thursday / Friday approx. 15 cans each day / night - Sunday woke up filth…how many did I have Saturday… :scream:

UPDATE 24 APRIL

• The NRL is set to restart on its proposed May 28 date after ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys struck a deal with broadcast partners Channel Nine and Fox Sports on Friday.

• The length of season is still to be confirmed, with a decision expected early next week.

• A 17-round campaign looms as the minimum amount of games to be played, but broadcasters have significantly endorsed the Telstra Premiership’s return to play date. State of Origin is planned to be played after the end of the 2020 season.

UPDATE 28 APRIL

• The NRL Premiership will recommence as a 20-round competition on May 28 with the grand final to be played on October 25.

• The first two rounds of the competition will be counted and the current competition ladder remains in place when games resume.

• The competition draw will be determined in the coming weeks, including timing of State of Origin.

2 Likes

My maths tells me a total of 44 points are used for grabs, with 40 points remaining.

History tells us win 50% of the seasons games, plus 1, and you can make the 8.

Therefore 24 points with secure a finals berth. With us sitting on 4 points, we need to win 10 of the remaining 20 games to make the finals.

Win 14 of the 20 and we should finish top 4 at least.

I’d rather our odds than than of teams on zero points. But that said we still have to win games!

My take on it is that the ‘win 50% +1’ rule of thumb gives us needing to win 11 games in total. We’ve won 2, so 9 more out of remaining 18 required.

There are no byes, as SOO will be post season, so no 2 points for a bye distorting the numbers.

If we can’t do that ie win 9 from 18, then we wouldn’t earn/deserve a spot.

Going to be interesting to see the draw, and how it will be modified, seemingly on the run, if any team(s) ‘go down’ for a period due to a positive Covid test result for a player or staff.
Seems they may minimize the number of grounds used to provide greater control, so maybe just ANZ, Bankwest & Penrith in Sydney?? Be extra cruel for the fans if a lot of games are played at our home, and we can’t attend!!

Surely in the remaining games, adult staff, suitably isolated will be used as ballboys instead of the wildcard of using kids who are going to school and socializing outside of the footy bubble.

Interesting times.

1 Like

I might have to start exercising at Howell Oval, surely you can’t be pinged for taking a break from your training by leaning on the fence :rofl:

Problem is, how do 10k people all train at the same place lol

2 Likes

I see that Cameron Smith is leading a charge to stop the season go ahead. He previously, before this latest ‘pay dispute’, had said he was not in favour of the season re-starting, apparently as he isn’t keen on relocating away from Melbourne & his family. Fully support his decision to do this on his own behalf, but he should butt out re others.
He already got his millions in payments and endorsement, a surprise boat and god knows how many paper bags, so he is all set up. Hell his wife even got a very expensive ring in recognition of her, sorry, his 400 games.
But there are many people who need to have this game going again asap to make a living. As Jenko said, he feels sorry for the young guys coming thru right now who are facing a less than expected living from the NRL, saying that he was setup well for life thru NRL.
Let’s hope that Smith is told to shut up by the majority and we can get moving again. Hell, I’ve got $375 invested in 2020 membership seat and may only get to see the one game. At least it was a win and was against the rorters.
Cheers

2 Likes

100% mrwalker - I would love for the NRL to say to these blokes who are arguing over their EXTRA pay, sorry, you are not welcome in our competition this year, we will allow your club to replace you in the top 25 and have your salary deducted from the clubs cap, less the addition to the 25’s salary.

i.e. If Smith earns 1 million, he sits out for the year, they bring in a young bloke who is contracted at 100k, the clubs cap is reduced by 900k.

NEXT

I think you will find they (Smith) all accept whatever is on offer from then. F@#$ING Selfish pricks !!!

1 Like

Still no word on the draw for this revised season ?

Not yet. I think they are waiting on the tick from all the governments involved.

I believe the NSW and VIC government are yet to sign off to my knowledge.

…and we’re back!!!

2 Likes