Looking at history & records

Thanks, Mutley, for that analysis. It reminds me of the attitude of the 2003 side which, I recall was, “we don’t care how many point the others score, we’ll score more”.

2 Likes

The difference now is our mantra is the reverse.

Don’t worry how few we score, you’ll score less

3 Likes

I have started trawling through the records again, looking at streaks. I’m currently putting together spreadsheets on all clubs for easy future reference. It’s going to be a long haul, but will publish results for each clubs records when I’m done (probably around kickoff for next season :rofl:).

On the little I’ve done so far, I can tell you that Adelaide‘s best 10 game period came on the back of their 10 worst game period!!!
Worst - Rounds 1-10 1998 (1 win, 9 losses, -162)
Best - Rounds 11-20 1998 (6 wins, 4 losses, +46)

3 Likes

The greatest kickers of all time (minimum 100 goals)

1 Like

Was asked the question earlier of how our current run of 20 win in a row at home stands up to past streaks. After a bit of research I’ve come up with the top 10:

1. St George at Kogarah - 30 wins from Round 13,1959 to Round 11 1966 (part of 56 games without loss at venue)

2. St George at Kogarah - 25 win from Round 18, 1954 to Round 3, 1959 (part of 56 games without loss at venue)

3. Balmain at Birchgrove - 20 wins from Round 10, 1914 to Round 12, 1918 (part of 29 games without loss at venue)

4. Manly at Brookvale - 20 wins from Round 18, 1967 to Round 13, 1970

5. Penrith at Penrith - 20 wins from Round 21, 2019 to Round 6, 2022 (current)

6. St George at Henson - 19 wins from Round 8, 1957 to Round 2, 1980 (away venue)

7. Wests at Pratten - 18 wins from Round 3, 1959 to Round 14, 1962 (part of 23 games without loss at venue)

8. Brisbane at QE II - 18 wins from Round 11, 2000 to Round 14, 2001 (part of 23 games without loss at venue)

9. Canberra at Bruce - 17 wins from Round 19, 1993 to Round 8, 1995 (part of 25 games without loss at venue)

10. Manly at Brookvale - 16 wins from Round 20, 1995 to Round 7, 1997 (part of 17 games without loss at venue)

A win against Canberra on Sunday will move us into outright 3rd for consecutive wins at the same venue. We still have some work to do to break the St George winning runs of the late 50’s & early 60’s.

1 Like

The worst part is that we will never set the record at the existing ground. We play 8 more games at home, and 1 more at the most if we qualify to play from home in the first week of the finals.

Assuming we win all those, we would be at 29 games. At which point the cranes and bulldozers come in.

If we win all of those games, I’d consider our first game back at the new stadium to be a part of the streak, even if there is a 2 year gap.

The longer streaks from St George happened at a time when games were taken to other venues regularly, in particular the SCG or Sports Ground for the match of the week. Their streaks only include the games actually played at Kogarah.

The St George streak at Henson was over a 23 year period too, given it was an away venue.

Hey Mutley read today Panthers inaugural first grade captain and Kangaroo five eighth
Tony Brown passes away over Easter aged 86.

Maybe so… but I don’t think many will see it that way.

Would have been nice send off to old Penrith Park with setting that record.

Maybe we can convince two teams to move their games to Bluebet Stadium… :thinking:

1 Like

You have to remember that in the days that St George and Souths were on there runs it was unlimited tackles. Just buy the biggest players and 50 tackles later you’ve bludgeoned your way to the try line. I doubt the we will break that record, but then a couple of years ago I would not believe we are going as well as we are now. I think the record should be for the period after the unlimited tackles ended. There is a reason south and saints run ended at the same time as unlimited tackles.

3 Likes

In the era of full time professional players, salary cap, etc what we have achieved over the last 3 years is amazing.

The Manly & Brisbane sides of the late 90s, the Melbourne sides over the last 15 years & Roosters sides over the last 20 are the only others who come close, although our record over the last 55-60 games is as good or better than pretty much everything those side achieved in similar timeframes.

As far as I can see, only Melbourne’s run of 19 last year, and the Roosters back to back premierships are better than anything we have achieved.

We could even break these records before this team is done.

1 Like

I am just thankful as a team we don’t have a weak link. This to me is historical for the Panthers :rofl:

3 Likes

I didn’t realise the Daily Telegraph can see so far into the future… (interesting that the Dragons de-merge before the year 19,564)

2 Likes

21 in a row at Penrith. Now officially the 3rd best streak at a venue.

1 Like

3 Likes

Nathan Cleary has become our second highest point scorer after last nights game.

Apparently he is also the second youngest to reach 1000 first grade points - behind Graham Eadie

1 Like