[2023] R12 Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread

I am not sure that the first try wasn’t a double movement. But then the refs had a square up with the disallowed Sorensen try.

2 Likes

I think Turuva was ruled to have enough momentum to get to the line regardless.

2 Likes

I think if I was a broncos fan, I might be a bit pissed about that interpretation. I have seen a lot like that disallowed.

1 Like

That Sorensen no try was yet another example of the joke the bunker has become. I don’t care which team it is, but if a player dives on the ball and slides into the in goal that is a try. No slowing it down frame by frame to see if his left hand moved it into his right hand or other nitpicking ?$!#%!

Moe should feel unlucky to have Capewell knock the ball from his grasp, preventing his try. He was best on ground for the first 20 minutes.

We are playing well and should go on with this.

3 Likes

The good thing is keeping them camped in their own half for much of the game.

2 Likes

:mega: Panther Pride man of the Match voting is now open here.

Great TEAM result, our scramble was just as good as our structured defense, the sign of everyman for every occasion.

3 Likes

We are strangling teams with our aggressive, committed defense, much like the last 3 seasons.
There were times when the broncs were just out of gas, and they resorted to some trick plays to try to overcome our defence.
The ref thinks we were tackling too hard :slight_smile:

The difference just now is that we are just missing scoring tries that we would have mostly found a way to score in 20-22. We are creating chances, just as many I would say, but combination of execution slightly off, bad luck (even goal posts) & match officials is just stopping us blowing them opposition away. When we get that right, there should be no stopping us.

1 Like

I am not sure that all our wins over the last 3 years were run away wins. I seem to remember quite a few close ones. The problem is that in some of the close games this year, we have been on the wrong side of the ledger, just.

1 Like

Also, we have had our share of overturned tries in the last few years. Always checking Panther’s tries with a fine tooth comb. Still can’t believe that they didn’t take a closer look at the first bronco “try” last night. No reasonable replay in the broadcast either to check whether the ball went down cleanly.

3 Likes

I saw a a replay after the game, the grounding looked horrible. I dont know how they awarded it.

3 Likes

In an almost unprecedented occurrence, I actually was cheering for the slimies to win last night.
WE are now on top of the ladder :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had my money on Souffs.

Then my brother reared his ugly head & started crowing about we were only going to be first for 24 hours.

I said screw the bet, I want Parra to win. I made sure he knew all about it afterwards too.

To be fair, my brother is the type of “fan” that I hate. Never goes to games & only hear about it when his team is first or beats Panthers. Can’t find him at other times.

1 Like

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup| Full Time

Penrith Panthers 40 Tries Luke Garner (2), Preston Riki, Daeon Amituanai, Tom Jenkins, Trent Toelau, Matt Stimson.
Goals Kurt Falls (5/6), Matt Stimson (1/1)
Wests Magpies 10 Tries Triston Reilly, Israel Ogden.
Goals Will Smith (1/2)

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP MATCH REPORT

:rugby_football: Jersey Flegg Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 20 Tries Timothy Sielaff-Burns (2), Angelis Hotere-Papalii, Ryley Smith.
Goals Timothy Sielaff-Burns (2/4)
Wests Tigers 28 Tries Harrison Henson, Josh Feledy, Jay Kirk, Christopher Faagutu, Zane Camroux.
Goals Zane Camroux (4/5)

JERSEY FLEGG CUP MATCH REPORT

I thought that I’d watch Ch 9’s football show (Sun 11 am) to determine what they had to say about Penrith’s comprehensive defeat of Brisbane. I expected these gurus to focus on Luai’s brief indiscretion. Perhaps I missed it, but the only reference to that game seemed to be the Brisbane disallowed try with its inference that Brisbane might have been hard done by. If indeed they did completely ignore our Thursday night victory (with a South’s supporter I know being adamant that the score flattered Brisbane), then they have slumped even lower in my estimation. Is there no depth to which they’ll go to give Penrith the brush off?

2 Likes

It’s a bugger being a tall poppy Pete.

2 Likes

The didn’t mention a word last week either with a Roosters player on the couch.

2 Likes

I noticed Soni LUKE played for NSW on Saturday.

Is that because of limited game time against Broncs? I imagine there’s rules around when they can/can’t play in NSW Cup, otherwise you’d end up with stacked NSW Cup games in strategic moments

Not worried about the recovery side - he played minimal minutes against the Broncs. more curious as to the rules?

I noticed that too regarding Luke. That said he probably needs the game time and practice, as I thought he was the only poor/marginal performance in the NRL team.

While Kenny may somewhat lack his pace and flair, he more than makes up for it with his passing, toughness, stamina and defence.

I am starting to think when Spencer comes back, drop Luke and use Salmon as hooker relief. Based upon Lindsay Smith’s form, I wouldn’t be dropping him back to 2nds.

Imagine a bench of Salmon, Spencer, Martin, Smith. We would loose nothing when interchanging forwards.

2 Likes

I like it SHF - I’m not sure Soni Luke understands his role when he comes on. Sure he is quick, fresh and exciting to watch, but some of his decision making is selfish and akin to Wade Egan when we had him…“how will this make me look if it works…me me me”

More often than not it’s a failed attempt and that simply doesn’t suit our style of play. To his credit, Egan has improved 10 fold since leaving, seems to be a team first mentality now. Hopefully the light will come on for Soni very soon.