Survey open for fans to have their say on new stadium

At the moment we probably could, but we wouldn’t get half of that during lean times.

As @Mutley has already said, maybe at peak times like finals we could pack out a 30k stadium, but in most regular rounds I think it’s probably closer to 20k.

I think this is why the stadium up in Townsville (which I mentioned earlier) is a good solution for Penrith, it would deliver the upgraded amenities and seating that is drastically needed, and still retain the suburban ground feel that many are saying they would like to maintain on some level.

I think 25k-28k is a good number for the stadium. The rated capacity of Bluebet Stadium now is 22,500. While I like Commbank Stadium looks amazing, somehow it feels hollow and devoid of that atmosphere we have now at Penrith (not to mention I don’t think a stadium that size would fit on the land allocated).

I may very well be in the minority here, but an open faced 25-28k stadium is the right fit.

2 Likes

I hope so. Despite Parra being a fair bit closer to me, Penrith is a lot easier for me to get to. Surface roads vs motorways.

I have heard whispers about town saying that they are looking at the Penrith Paceway site. So there may be some truth to it all.

2 Likes

I heard that as well on the weekend Steve :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I have two theories on this;

1. Fake news - searching social media it seems it may be a circular rumour spreading.

2. if their is some element of truth in this, three possible options;

A) an alternative state or LGA owned site, the only one of Suitable size with easy construction and meeting the needs to close proximity to the CBD would be the the peach tree creek site located behind the former ambulance station. This site has long been earmarked by council for the new show grounds , once they are relocated from the paceway site. The show facilities could be incorporated into the wider parklands surrounding the stadium.

B) the paceway site. This would be complex and costly to procure and construct. My thought though is with the current impasse between government and NRL surrounding the rebuild / roofing of Stadium Australia, maybe Airds has offered the NRL a 50k covered stadium at Penrith instead, ready to also host the rugby World Cup final? If not I doubt this would be worthwhile. I remember seeing a concept for a Docklands style stadium on this site back 10 years or so ago, when the “Power Panthers” partnership was being discussed.

C) the Panasonic site - this is mostly cleared however has had it’s DA for development knocked back a number of times. Not sure if it’s land value compared to the paceway site.

Both B and C would require land purchase, which unless the funding is increased would not be possible.

If we are going to get increased funding and/or build a much bigger stadium, option A would be the best bet.

what about the back of panthers, looks to be massive land availability there?

I believe that was the original plan put forward by Phil Gould a few years ago.

I think that land is reserved for the Panthers Master Development plan. I doubt they will put the stadium on prime riverfront land with poor road access.

1 Like

While that sounds great, to be able to go to Penrith Stadium as the new stadium is built, I am starting to feel we are going to get an monstrocity like Commbank Stadium.

While that stadium had a lot of facilities, my experience there feels cold and sterile… I don’t really feel that into the game while I am there, there is a distinct lack of atmosphere and you feel at arms length from the action, unlike at Penrith.

I am planning on heading up to Townsville to watch the Cowboys v Panthers game this year to see what the Queensland Country Bank Stadium is like, as I am still convinced that is the better option.

2 Likes

It was my understanding that the deal had already been done with the developer to take over the Showgrounds/Paceway site for a commercial/residential development, with part of the deal that the developer was to provide the new Showground/Paceway facility on another site. I thought is was to be along the lines of the Ashlar Golf Course deal where the developer got the site, and built the Golf Club a new course as part of the deal.

So does this mean that that deal fell through on the Showground/Paceway or was someone getting ahead of themselves?

A question then is, under this new proposal, what will happen to the existing stadium site after we move ‘next door’? If the Showground/Paceway is moved, it would seem a once in a lifetime chance for an entertainment/community-use precinct bordered by Mulgoa/Station/Jamison & the northern edge of the Showground/Paceway site.

1 Like

It just makes sense to have it built at the paceway. Good to hear they are thinking about other facets also.

That photo of Karen is pretty old, Jamo park hasn’t been that baron for years lol

The paceway should move to the grounds near the Kingswood bowling club (owned by Roosters - take em on) and have soccer fields in the middle of it.

I believe the plan is to move the Paceway out to Londonderry and share the Greyhound racing track site. Don’t quote me on that, but I remember reading that somewhere a while back when Racing NSW were putting out the idea of selling the Penrith site.

They already race the trotters out there, but on grass. It isn’t a very good spectacle.

To my understanding it would consist of two separate tracks with a shared facility.

My 2c,

The reps from INSW at the meeting with council knew nothing of the alternative site proposal before it was raised with them. This suggests it may have been an agenda started by others (western weekender?).

With regards the showground site, you not only have to procure the land, will also as others mentioned find and support a new home for harness racing (Londonderry and Luddenham have both been suggested), and also not forget about the Penrith Show facilities.

These could either be incorporated into the stadium site, or construct the alternate earmarked location (peach tree creek, cnr GWH/ Mulgoa road).

All this comes at considerable cost. Will the government raise the budget to $500m? Or cut the scope of the stadium down?

In a knock down rebuild option, and additional $25+ M would go along way improving facilities at Bathurst.

1 Like

I think other codes and other uses like music concerts or festivals, etc will be included how the stadium will be use all year round and determine the final masterpiece. I think the stadium will look similar to Commbank stadium or more modern.

I’m not sure Commbank will be used as the model… especially in regards to size. There are some massive constraints on the size if the stadium were to go where the existing Penrith Football Stadium stands. They would have to rethink the whole project.

I wrote about this in another thread here.