2021 Panthers Contract Thread

To be honest, they could probably have Naden next week if they were willing to let Burton out of his contract.

3 Likes

Mate, why would they, their season is all but finished in May !

The rumor mill is suggesting Burto wants to stay…Hope it’s true.

Would be a beautiful bird :fu: for Penrith to give back to Trent

4 Likes

What a buzz, to stick it up the Scumdogs.

You Bloody Beauty - Made my Friday :ok_hand:

Did you just remove your post Steve?

What’s happening, c’mon, share it !!!

AaaH, the Burton balls-up. I’d like him to stay naturally, but hasn’t he signed a contract for 2022?

Well, yes or no? How do they get round that?

Steve posted a story where Brandy said he was staying and that Burton had backflipped.

By the time I had read the story and replied, it was gone…AND it’s not even April 1st :woozy_face:

C’mon Steve, fess up - just to ensure i’m not going nuts !

The Burton backflip rumour has been around for a few weeks now, and doesn’t look like going away, despite denials.

Rumors are one thing, but when you are able to read an article about it here, provided by Steve, it’s an excuse to get excited.

Steve’s silence is probably a measure of his laughter…got me hook line and sinker

1 Like

Sorry for that @Kevin.

Turned out the article quoted Brandy saying that Burton was backflipping. Then it was reported that it was spoken “tongue in cheek”. Most media outlets have dropped the article as has the radio station what published the broadcast.

It was still on Zero Tackle, but they may have taken it down as well (as have I), I wouldn’t want to keep your hopes up.

EDIT: Even ‘Zero Tackle’ as changed the title now… but not taken it down. Here it is (with context provided now). Make of it what you wish.

1 Like

Now Capewell @ Kenny need attention for 2022.

1 Like

Thomas Jenkins ⮕ Signed to 2023 (NRL Development Squad)

2 Likes

Got to admit I haven’t seen Jenkins play, but his stats so far seem impressive.

We may be in need of a centre post Burton and Momo

He seems to have speed and size, so a good platform to develop from. With other backs like Turuva, May, Naden and Tago, it’s not surprising that this team is also top of its group (on the back of solid forwards like Faiumu and Smith).

2 Likes

a boy from Boorowa !

We had any other players over the years from Boorowa ???

Robert Jennings ⮕ Signed to 2022

The Australian has a story saying James Fisher-Harris has agreed to a new 4 year deal with the Panthers worth about 3.6 million. I don’t have any other details, as I don’t subscribe to the Aus.

Good news, if true!!

2 Likes

Good news if true (the 4 years not the money lol), strange but that it’s only the Australian running the story - not the usual outlets.

Time will tell

I managed to cut & paste this off the net. It’s some of the article from The Australian that I mentioned above:

Penrith prop James Fisher-Harris is on the verge of becoming one of the highest-paid forwards in the game after agreeing terms on a four-year extension with the Panthers that will pay him up to $3.5 million.

Fisher-Harris is yet to put pen to paper on the new contract but it is understood his manager Darryl Mather has finalised terms with the club and the deal will be finalised in coming weeks.

Fisher-Harris’ retention comes with the New Zealand prop in the hottest form of his career. The 25-year-old is among the leaders in the Dally M medal and if not the best prop in the sport, he is in the conversation.

His pay packet now reflects as much. The Australian understands that rival clubs have asked the question of Mather in recent days and been told that Fisher-Harris has agreed to a new deal with the Panthers, ending their hope of potentially poaching him at the end of next season.

His new contract caps a stunning signing drive by Penrith that has led to Nathan Cleary, Jarome Luai, Isaah Yeo and Stephen Crichton all agreeing new deals.

All told, the spree has cost the Panthers in excess of $10 million. It has been money well spent if the NRL ladder is anything to go by – Penrith have led the competition for most of the year, largely off the back of Fisher-Harris’ barnstorming charges.

After Cleary, Fisher-Harris was arguably the most crucial piece of the puzzle given the way he has played over the past two years. No player has been more responsible for laying the platform for Cleary and Luai to weave their magic.

It is understood his new deal is worth more than $800,000 a season, remarkable given the current climate and the uncertainty over the salary cap from 2023.

The Panthers’ mega signing spree has made life difficult on other fronts. Backrower Kurt Capewell remains off contract and is yet to make call over his future.

There had been talk that Penrith had given up hope of keeping him, although it is understood they remain in the mix and their biggest challenge is now coming from the Brisbane Broncos.

Interesting that it seem it is his manager has leaked this information. Maybe just trying to beef up his price?

I do have some concern about the $$$, although I like all here love Fish with his consistency and effort, you don’t build a premiership on the back of a prop. Get the best spine (including lock) you can, then build around that.

We payed big $$$ for Petro and look where that got us. Yes you could argue he helped develop Fish and Yeo as players, but no result in the trophy cabinet.

Sad to say it, but I’d rather use that money to extend and upgrade Yeo and Martin, than on a single prop.

Succussful teams are about balance, not paying overs for individuals outside the spine, in our case we have reportedly already done that with Crighton.