2021 Panthers Contract Thread

If I was in any of the Panthers boots, although i would want reasonable $$ it would be more about the title / s you can achieve as a group.

No one wants to pay for an also ran after they retire, the media in particular want successful players to engage with after footy. There is plenty of coin to be earned after footy for winners.

1 Like

I would be locking up Capewell for another season. I know he is looking to move up to Queensland in the future, maybe to the new club up there.

So say he signs on for another year, I would then be looking to get Izack Tago some more game time, he would make for a explosive replacement for Capewell if he chooses to move on.

2 Likes

‘Explosive’ is an apt description of Tago. I look forward to seeing him creating havoc amongst tiring forwards in the opposition.

And I recall that we lured James Tamou with a contract that raised eyebrows. While I admired how he handled himself personally, it remains debatable that it was money well-spent.

I remember a certain prop now at the Eels signing a rather large deal and look how that turned out (by the way are we still paying some of those wages?)

I believe the terms were that the Panthers would pay half of RCG salary for the first year of his new contract. That agreement would on have been for the 2020 season.

Kurt Capewell ⮕ Brisbane Broncos (2024)

He will want to win the GF this year…gunna be some time before the Broncs are any good

1 Like

A loss for sure, but was rather expected.

Martin will no doubt be our starting second rower next year, the big question will be around our recruitment of a good bench forward, our one of our juniors continues their development.

I imagine there won’t be a need for a replacement. Liam Martin moves into the second row starting slot and Izack Tago promoted to the bench in 2022.

3 Likes

I usually rate the Daily Telegraph as being useful when running short of dunny paper, like in a pandemic. But the past couple of days the online version has had an article about guessed NRL player contract sums (top 100). I thought that it had some interesting aspects. Firstly, only 3 Penrith players in the top 100 (Cleary, Kikau, Koroisau), with Cleary only 9th and behind Ash Taylor, for example. Maybe that can be explained by attributing our top of the table position to a good coaching staff and to having a high proportion of cheap, young up-and-comers in the squad (other clubs, like the Easts Rorters, pay top dollar for players developed by clubs like ours). But it says to me that Penrith is about to face immense pressure to keep under the salary cap. No wonder they let Burton, Naden and Capewell go. There’ll be some tough choices to make. I have doubts about the likes of Leniu or Staines showing any loyalty.

James Fisher-Harris ⮕ Signed to 2026 (Re-signed)

4 Likes

This is great news, the key to Fish is, he will not reduce his intensity just because he is safe now…AND he didn’t play out of his skin because his contracts was being negotiated, that is the way he plays every game.

LOVE THE FISH

4 Likes

Mitch Kenny ⮕ Signed to 2022 (Re-signed)

1 Like

Good to see. I think he is a solid player & is on the improve, & is good cover for Api & can fill a role as required, so happy to see the extension.

which role do you envisage mrwalker ?

No surprise here, always knew Kenny would re-sign.

I imagine the only reason for a 1 year contract is to wait and see what happens with Api.

If we happen to get forced out of the market for Api next year, I’d be more than happy to sign Kenny for 3 years.

2 Likes

might have more to do with salary cap then anything else, we have been spending heaps on securing players in recent times
Happy we have him at least for the short term, not sure if he is the hooker model we need for our team longer term though.

An excellent backup for Api is the first priority & he fills the bill. There are clubs who could do with Kenny as their first choice dummy half.
He also is young and it may work out that he succeeds Api in the future. Who knows what may happen in 2023
He also looks to be a good utility option coming off the bench. Teams that have a 2nd dummy half, who can only really play dummy half, on the bench always look to be a player short on their bench - Kenny could be more than just a 20’ filler for Api to take a break.

I love this signing. Mitch is the perfect dummy half when you have a quality halves pairing. He gives great service to our big boys in the middle and obeys the structure of play, i.e. knowing how to be led around the field.

His ‘Api’ qualities will come in time, the more he operates around quality, the faster his growth and impact will be.

1 Like