[2021] R20 Storm v Panthers - Game Day Thread

Channel 9 gets the opportunity to fix their scheduling error lol.

2 Likes

:mega: NRL Officially reschedules Round 20.

Melbourne Storm v Penrith Panthers to be played Sunday 1st August 4pm.

So, why the change of heart? Why is today different from yesterday? Cynically I could believe that PV bullied the Qld Govt into submission. If that is the case then perhaps he could expand his portfolio to become PM and CMO at Federal level and also assume similar authority in the states.
Would be better than being governed by the current bunch(es) of muppets and, Puss, I don’t mean just Qld.

1 Like

great point AR and one i had considered…what is different today then 12 hours ago?

my question which leads from this is what was given and or promised to get the games on.

Did they commit to holding the GF in QLD?

Or what was given up to allow the games to be played when all else is in lockdown.

Of course how this impacts on players and teams will be known later today.

Be happy if the fix is something transparent and long lasting so the comp can be finished…

Difference between yesterday and today. Storm has put pressure on the nrl to make sure that the game against an understrength Panthers team goes ahead. The nrl then paid whatever it took to make sure the round went ahead. Now what did I do with my tin foil hat?

3 Likes

desperately searching for a ray of sunshine, so far 16-0,
not so bright I’m afraid. We have had chances we couldn’t convert.
And defending on Melb kicks has been untidy to say the least.

Just like the grand final.

Not the score - but the refereeing.

Hope we can come back.

Naden and Jennings are liability’s in defence

To be fair, I don’t think the score is an accurate reflection of what we have seen so far, I’d only have us maybe 8-10 points down. We are taking the game to them, but the players we are missing are the difference between is getting over the line or not. A little more polish here & there, and we might be able to reel them in a bit. Back to full strength in the finals, I reckon we could get them.

Is it too late, noticed a few heads going down ?

Our defending the kicks has been abysmal.

Congratulations NRL, SOO (particularly a pandemic dead rubber) has effectively crueled our chances. But another score blowout doesn’t worry you does it?

Good effort from some of the boys in the middle, but our offence
was flatter than a tack. I still feel Kikau plays too wide and the opposition are awake to it.

1 Like

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

https://bit.ly/3lgrxi3

Its not often a supporter would be happy with a loss but i have to say i am thrilled with our loss.
Maybe just maybe this loss has finally got Cleary’s (Ivans) attention and his makeshift selections to date have been a failure

We are playing a genuine 6 at 7 and he is lost…we are playing a genuine centre at 6 and he is lost

We have a 7 in Falls who deserves a run

Leave aside the contempt Api has shown for our side but our forwards have lacked any authority

Crichton must be doing his own laundry because he simply doesn’t want to do any dirty work at all and sadly Edwards is terribly out of form and Staines is putting his laundry in with Crichton…NO EFFORT from him at all to do any dirty work.

I get it we are missing key players but after seeing NC on 9 earlier today, i don’t know if he will be back before the finals and in the TOO interview during the game he is basically resigned to not being back.

I was looking for character today and saw little to impress me going into the business end of the season.
Worse still is how impotent we are with our current set up in attack.

On Storm, to say they get all the calls, breaks from refs etc would be an understatement but if you allow a team to roll over you, you get the scoreline to reflect that.

I know NC is a great player but if we cannot perform to an elite level without him, says more about the team then i believed it would and is a larger indictment on the coach for not having a Plan B.

Its not panic stations by any means but this is the wake up call this team needed in my view and its now how they respond which will show what is ahead for us.

My team for next week would be Falls at 7 and move Luai to 6 and Burton to 4…leave Tago at 5

I would drop Staines and put Naden at 2

Hopgood would be in my 17 and assuming Pangai gets a run, Api back at Hooker with Kenny to miss out on a spot along with Lenui

Last wee we had 60 plus missed tackles, today we missed tackles but struggled to put on any offensive plays, the worst of both worlds.

1 Like

can i give my MOM to

1…Klein.

2…Perenara

3…Vlandys

2 Likes

It really goes to show how much the playmakers in the casualty ward really make that difference.

The team tried to stay in this one but just wasn’t able to hang in there, I think two strategies lead to that.

Firstly the attack, the halves were playing to lateral and conservative, they were hoping if they can maintain the possession and keep the Storm defending that the barn doors were going to open for them. The Storm are far too polished of a football team at full strength for that to happen. In contrast, Cleary goes looking for the opportunity and opens his own doors in the defences line. This was evident where the Storm continued to hold their own line to the disappointment of the Panthers attack.

I feel there was a feeling in the squad that if they just stuck in there and wore the Storm down points would flow. The Storm did get tired… but it was well over before that, leading to only two consolation tries in the end.

Another thing I would like to point out was lack of consistency by the referee. Melbourne relied heavily on slowing the play of the ball down when defending and allowed them to do this (there were a few instances where we got a 6 again for it). It was not consistent when Penrith did that, where the whistle was blown a lot. Much of the 50/50 calls went to the Storm, which I’m sure is not a surprise to most.

Not the best result… but far from being the worst. We will be better for getting a lot of the players on the sideline back on the field.

Bring on next week.

1 Like

To be fair (and serious LOL), I would give my MOTM to Scott Sorensen.

The man played out of his skin today, was clearly the best in a beaten side. I was thankful he scored that last try, it was thoroughly deserved.

3 Likes

I can’t agree more Steve, Sorensen was certainly a bright light.

Glass half full time - all our middle forwards gave their all, and considering no Fish this was a good effort.

Game could of been very different had To’o played, 2 try’s went begging that he would of made easily. And that’s not even considering his defence and run metres.

Then to consider no Yeo, I though Sorenson filled the role well, but we missed Yeo’s play at first receiver, which allows the halves to play wider.

Between this and the Ref, all in all we put in a good effort.

We get these players back, not to mention Cleary and this would of been a very different ball game.

Hopefully this loss does us the world of good, and Melbourne winning gives them a false sense of security when we next meet again

1 Like

Little or no effect on the result but, on empirical observation, a world record 6-agains in the first half and I don’t recall a single one in the second half - although at that stage I was preparing the BBQ. How is that possible?

Too many early errors & the missed opportunity on the first error by Melbourne, meant we played with little ball early on & gave the $torm momentum, that is very hard to turn around. We were always going to be up against it, and we just made the task all the more difficult.
Clearly we missed the metres of To’o & Fish which meant we were always lacking the field position required to test Melb & you need to be challenging them to put them off their game - run hard, wrestle even harder.
Again some poor defensive work from players that wouldn’t normally be there gifted some points.

Work to do, players to get back… it’s not all doom & gloom.

I tried to aim for a positive spin in my previous post, this one goes back to negative

What’s going on with Kikau? I seems every game we need him to lift he tends to go missing.

That try scored against us from dummy half (when Martin was in the ground), he stood there and watched leaving Kenny and Edwards to make the tackle.

Not the only one to miss tackles of course, but he just seems to be lacking concentration in both attack and defense.

The other call out for someone lacking in impact is Critta. He just seems to be happy waiting for the ball, and rarely goes looking for work.

play Kickau in the front row as a battering ram (small mins),
all of a sudden Critta’s got room to move. Seriously, opposition defenders will #*/. themselves and by the time opposition 3/4’s wake up to it, Crittas under the post. Really, Martin is not a prop. He’s filling a hole and working hard while Kikau is in lockdown.

2 Likes