Rumoured Player Movements

As expected, Jack Cogger has been confirmed to be departing to the Knights till 2026, and Jaeman Salmon has been confromed to be departing to the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs till 2025.

Not sold on him. He has talent, but doesn’t get involved enough.

3 Likes

I am not sold on him either, only saving grace is underperformers seem to lift when they come here.

1 Like

IMO He would be a greater wrecking ball in our system than Kikau was - Just not happy to pay overs, but maybe a premiership and winning is what he craves now he is already loaded financially.

1 Like

Agree with Mutley & SHF. I’d rather go after a good prop, we’ve already got a bunch of back rowers.
If I were Mavrik Geyer, I would not be happy to hear this.

2 Likes

I think that David Fifita would make a fine replacement for JFH, at his best he is one of the most devistating forwards in the game. I just don’t think the Titans are getting that out of him, I do think that Penrith can.

The Panthers are offering him $850k, and I feel that’s around where he is worth at this time. I wouldn’t be surprised if other clubs offer him more, but he will settle with Penrith.

3 Likes

I think Alamoti’s comments about needing to grow up when he came to Panthers says a lot.

Whilst JFH seems less impactful to me this year, he leaves a big hole to fill and I’d expect Fifita returns to his best and does a solid job

2 Likes

What we’re really talking about the need to have an experienced forward leader, which is what JFH is/was. We’ve got good young forwards coming through, but you can’t develop the cachet & leadership that JFH has overnight.

I’m sure Penrith are targeting Fifita because they can see that potential in him and believe they can bring it out.

They might well be right. After the amount of success we’ve had, I’m not going to argue. I just think that someone like Utoikamanu might be a better bet - assuming he’s available.

1 Like

Apparently the Dragons & Roosters have entered the race for his services. If his comment about wanting to win a premiership are true, then we would still be the best bet for him, regardless of the amounts offered, Roosters will go backwards with Keary retiring, and others leaving. Dragons still look a few years away at best. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

1 Like

The rumoured dollars and potential offered by Panthers is outstanding and must surely be hard to pass up.

He’s same height and 12kg heavier than JFH and this season in 2nd row plays the full 80 mins or 60 off the bench.

If the thoughts are to have him up front as a JFH replacement, then I for one hope he’s at the foot of the mountains next year.

Not sold on Fifita, despite what many have proffered on here about his ability and how Panthers can offer him the opportunity he desires in winning a premiership.

I come at this from a different angle. Firstly this player had a “get out” clause in his current contract if things were not going the way he wanted.

I see this as a huge red flag, for example will we make a similar concession?

Panthers have been successful as we have had people “buy” into our system albeit many have exited the same system for greed and not glory.

Therein lies my concern, what if he doesn’t achieve “glory” in his time frame?
He now wants out of the Titans as things there don’t suit him.

Then there is a larger problem about disaffecting current squad members and or juniors coming through. I am sure there are plenty in our current NRL squad who are not on $850K or anywhere near that yet have put in to remain in our system.

To me this shows a glaring hole in our much vaunted “system” where it is clear we do not have anyone to fill the JFH void and potentially others who may leave us we do not know about.

On Fifita it may happen and worse still now its either his agent leaking but others are now circling namely Dragons and Roosters.

If he truly wanted a “premiership” ring why would he even talk to the Dragons?
Roosters i can sort of understand and suspect he may go there rather then us.

which raises another question, who next if we miss him because we have shown our hand in seeking someone else.

and on that, how did Crichton even get mentioned.

His best his behind him, we need and if we are to buy someone, someone who is on the “up” not someone going the other way.

1 Like

No Thanks to Crichton - I would rather work with our own young bucks coming through.

If Fifita is fair dinkum (to your point SBF, why would he even consider the Dragons…gotta be wind up the jaxie) then I would not hesitate to sign him. If he is considering other clubs as a bargaining tool…ta ta litlle mate, not wanted here !!

3 Likes

In hindsight we should have hung onto Spencer

2 Likes

To be fair, Spencer on his day was an attacking beast, but equally posed a potential liability. Case in point he’s just missed the last 8 weeks due to suspension…

I sure hope Crichton is a gee up though.

SBF, not sure how much to read into the player option situation with Fifita. I think that was only put in place following the changes in coaches.

2 Likes

Yes agree with you can be a liability but gee he was exciting to watch and plays with great intensity……

2 Likes

Spencer was a devastating player when he was on the field. But he had that ‘hothead’ energy that is just going to land players in hot water, he reminded me too much of Jack Hetherington, a player that looked for trouble.

I feel the Panthers system did a good job in managing to keep him in line, not sure the Roosters will be able to do the same.

1 Like

Fifita’s signed with the Roosters.

Oh well… guess he wasn’t serious about wanting to win a premiership.

2 Likes